Why Train?

At 41, most things I enjoy require me to be in decent nick ..... park run, 8 aside footy etc.
Ive started to train (run / cycle) so I can still enjoy these things. I'm too heavy at the minute though, so I'm trying to lose weight aswell. half a stone off, one and a half to go.

I've always trained to some degree, played sports (football mainly), got into boxing/martial arts quite young so I could better look after myself then when I was 17/18 I joined a gym for the first time to put on muscle and look better, me and a mate used to go 4-5 times a week, sometimes more. Continued with martial arts purely for fun, but now complement it with weights/bodyweight exercises to help with strength and stamina. Just started playing 5-a-side again with mates so nothing serious.

For me it’s a lifestyle choice, apart from the feel good factor after training it allows me too eat and drink pretty freely without piling on the timber, found the right balance and works for me 👍 much better than fad diets imo

Opportunity. I’m can be physically ready for any invites. Footy, hill walking, squash, running. An Everest expedition could fall in my lap and I wouldn’t be far off the pace. I see so many people that must be severely restricted to what they do due to their health

Started to reduce weight but now its lifestyle choice, enjoy it feel its going to increase my healthspan along with dietary changes. More than anything it does wonders for my mental health and anxiety issues can tell if havent done anything for a while and think as well self esteem that can do certain challenges etc.

Started to reduce weight but now its lifestyle choice, enjoy it feel its going to increase my healthspan along with dietary changes. More than anything it does wonders for my mental health and anxiety issues can tell if havent done anything for a while and think as well self esteem that can do certain challenges etc.
Been proven that exercise is brilliant for confidence and mental health
I fully agree with it btw

Started off being sports related and really started to enjoy it. Years later and no longer doing the same sport but I get right moody if I spend any more than a few days away from the gym. Love the buzz and general feeling of being in decent shape, the state of some people who clearly do not exercise is bloody shameful. Get to have a cheeky look at the scenery too mind.

Will be getting back into the park runs too now that the weather is too crap for much road cycling.

Why do you train? What was your motivation for starting?
I started waaaay back in the 80’s after watching fillums with Arnie, Sly, JCVD and other ripped action heroes. Got a bench and a bullworker to supplement my martial arts. Saw no effects or improvements 😆
Carried on the impossible dream during my teens, then after a short hiatus due to fatherhood started to take it seriously. Invested in squats and deads.
Nowadays, I train cos it makes me feel good and helps offset the middle age spread. The pursuit of a ripped torso is derailed by alcohol and good lovin’ 😆

What’s your reasons for hitting the iron/ tarmac or whatever?
Started in '78 when I'd put loads of weight on by drinking 70 pints a week . Lost 5 stone .
Im 64 now and still train daily to keep heart health and muscle mass for stability in older age ( you start to lose muscle mass rapidly after 50)

In my younger days it was too look a bit better and fill out. Now I’m older it’s to keep various past injuries at bay and keep me ticking over nicely. Involves a lot more stretching and isolated muscle work. I’ll look to incorporate a lot more Pilates and yoga (although I hate both if I’m honest, but the benefits are massive) as I get older and continue to hit the weights.

Pretty much since the age of 18 I have been overweight or obese.

I've lost a lot of weight in the past and then put it all back on again.

Last year was when I decided a big change was needed.

Started hitting the gym and got out running. The weight has fallen off again and this time it is staying off.

I look better and feel great.

I have stopped the diet now I am at a decent weight and will continue to train because I love it.

A combination of being addicted to the sensations and the hit of dopamine from pushing myself to my absolute limit, and beyond.

And weirdly, also the fact I’m a total data nerd, so I obsess over tracking and beating my previous numbers, and analysing where I’m at against various metrics. As I said, nerdy. Still, it works for me.

Lately also, I’m starting to feel old and weathered, so I’m invested in trying to not just hold out, but improve as much as I can before entropy finally catches up with me. Because it will. But not today.

Back