Why Train?

maygo

Winger
Why do you train? What was your motivation for starting?
I started waaaay back in the 80’s after watching fillums with Arnie, Sly, JCVD and other ripped action heroes. Got a bench and a bullworker to supplement my martial arts. Saw no effects or improvements 😆
Carried on the impossible dream during my teens, then after a short hiatus due to fatherhood started to take it seriously. Invested in squats and deads.
Nowadays, I train cos it makes me feel good and helps offset the middle age spread. The pursuit of a ripped torso is derailed by alcohol and good lovin’ 😆

What’s your reasons for hitting the iron/ tarmac or whatever?

“Alcohol and good livin’” it was meant to say 🤦‍♀️
Competitive spirit.

I played football up to my early 30s but then started CrossFit 7 years ago. I compete in the odd competition and love to try and improve my Olympic weightlifting, running, swimming, powerlifting etc. It’s kept me sane in recent times
My good pal is right into the xfit and keeps telling me to attend, but I only compete with myself these days

Last edited:
Why do you train? What was your motivation for starting?
I started waaaay back in the 80’s after watching fillums with Arnie, Sly, JCVD and other ripped action heroes. Got a bench and a bullworker to supplement my martial arts. Saw no effects or improvements 😆
Carried on the impossible dream during my teens, then after a short hiatus due to fatherhood started to take it seriously. Invested in squats and deads.
Nowadays, I train cos it makes me feel good and helps offset the middle age spread. The pursuit of a ripped torso is derailed by alcohol and good lovin’ 😆

What’s your reasons for hitting the iron/ tarmac or whatever?

Similar to you. Im not the tallest so I have to work hard to stop the middle aged spread.

I got into training from a youngish age because as a bairn, I was obsessed with the films kickboxer and bloodsport not the films as such because I was a too young for them, but the training regimes they went through, also a less known film called twin warriors with jet li (think it has a different name in different countries.

There was always something in my mind magical about going away and training for perfection and being at peace. Not that I did any of that, I was a pisshead through my 20's, but it started the fire of wanting to train

Similar to you. Im not the tallest so I have to work hard to stop the middle aged spread.

I got into training from a youngish age because as a bairn, I was obsessed with the films kickboxer and bloodsport not the films as such because I was a too young for them, but the training regimes they went through, also a less known film called twin warriors with jet li (think it has a different name in different countries.

There was always something in my mind magical about going away and training for perfection and being at peace. Not that I did any of that, I was a pisshead through my 20's, but it started the fire of wanting to train
Those chop- sockey fillums of the 1980’s have a lot to answer for 😆

I'm 49 in June, I've been to gyms throughout my 20-30's and remained active the years after with dogs etc.
I started back at the gym Wednesday to tone up and try shift a little mid rift....I've always hated my legs so I'm going to focus on them...
I've been 3 times since, and my body isn't talking to me at the moment.:lol:
still trying to figure what machines and areas I'll focus on, but it's early days

Was fit as a kid / teenager and into early 20’s…always one of the fittest and fastest in sports days, school teams, 5-a-sides etc.

Moved through my twenties and put the timber on and couldn’t compete with the same people I used to be “better” than and was just embarrassed by it…someone at work said I was getting timber etc, had the penny drop moment & started training to get back.

Since then I am motivated by not going backwards again, if I don’t train I’ve got the fear of drifting back to being lazy and unfit. That chases me so keeps me moving forward, that’s more of what motivates me than getting better - but if I’m training I might as well improve as I go.

I trained as an 10 1/2 stone teenager to gain weight, which was virtually impossible due to my nightclub/rave habits. I did end quite ripped though until full time work kicked in especially driving jobs and eating shite I finally put on some timber (the wrong kind mind). Nowadays I do it to keep active and gradually shift the weight, funny how things change

Started in '79 when I had let the beer put about 4 stone on me . Trained more on than not over the last 40 years . 64 now and I train to keep my heart going , the pain at bay and to keep enough muscle on not to get feeble . Do 20-30 mins HIT cardio and 30 mins weights 5x a week .

Last edited:
Played sport when younger,always trained.Now 65 and can’t kick the habit.
Concept 2 rower & stationary bike + resistance bands.
6 days a week for 30 minutes a session .
Hard to stop isn't it . I still have a sly look at others outputs and to be fair I'm battering anyone near my age and matching most 20 years younger .
The heart doesn't lie though and my BPM max is a good 20 beats down on my pomp .
Probably cork it in the gym one day 😄🤷

Originally because of Bloodsport, WWF, and Arnie etc. Nowadays it still is that (🤣) but now because I want to be fit and active as I enter old age. I'm 40 so not git old yet....

Hard to stop isn't it . I still have a sly look at others outputs and to be fair I'm battering anyone near my age and matching most 20 years younger .
The heart doesn't lie though and my BPM max is a good 20 beats down on my pomp .
Probably cork it in the gym one day 😄🤷
Aye it’s a habit that’s difficult to drop.
Keep going marra.

I was equally in awe and shit scared of the Incredible Hulk (Lou Ferringo version!) when I was a bairn. That got me started.

Now I train because I want to bang out pull ups when I'm 80.

For me it’s a lifestyle choice to ensure I get a certain amount of regular exercise,
I have watched so many people over the years try fad diets, or join a gym for a few months it just doesn’t work.
You really need to find the balance, and include some form of exercise at least every other day.
In my 50’s now and usually do a daily 3/5 mile dog walk at least 3 days a week in gym for a weight session finish off with a mile swim and sauna great felling after.

I used to play loads of footie then used to go out on the piss every weekend. Got really fat. Footie team management changed, fell out with them. Stopped playing 11 a side. Took up running and then took up triathlon. Get myself to a decent standard and started being competitive. My plan is to get to the ironman world championships one day. I doubt I'll get there but I'm not going to give up hope. I've managed to qualify to compete for Great Britain in the duathlon European championships and the triathlon world championship.

Back