Why should we live and die by Shipbuilding only

Thought provoking. To think my dad would of probably of been down the pit at the time that was filmed. The whole NE was an industrial inferno, of men working in the shipyards, pits, steelworks, coke ovens, railways and god knows what else. And to think what we have now, though I'm pleased we don't have to work in those conditions these days, that yard looked pleasant on a sunny day, imagine when it was raining?. Fair play to all those men and women of the past who made the NE and Britain what it was and still is.

Great video with a canny debate from 2 minutes on

Cracking stuff that mate.
Thought provoking. To think my dad would of probably of been down the pit at the time that was filmed. The whole NE was an industrial inferno, of men working in the shipyards, pits, steelworks, coke ovens, railways and god knows what else. And to think what we have now, though I'm pleased we don't have to work in those conditions these days, that yard looked pleasant on a sunny day, imagine when it was raining?. Fair play to all those men and women of the past who made the NE and Britain what it was and still is.
Or when it was 5 below, cold stuff steel.

Same could be said for the Railways. We are still building trains in the NE, but we are doing it for a Japanese company, to Japanese designs, for our railways. And still we we are still awarding contracts to Spain for trains to run on the Metro....

I cant help but feel there are many things we are paying foreign companies to do, that we used to do ourselves.

Crawling through the double bottoms:cry: - don't miss that at all.
At least it was clean new steel, in the ship repair yards, it was all manky rusty sleck-filled double bottoms - f***ing horrible conditions.

And dragging a Yale or a git jack behind you..bang your head off the top of the manhole..getting burnt while holding a dog up and your mate sparking up all over trying to tack it on..happy days..😂

Back