Why joy division are the greatest

New Order > Joy Division

They’re the same band though. The sound was an evolution through time and technology. They’d have continued the same with Curtis (some of the later JD stuff you could hear the seeds of New Order growing).

Another thing to consider in the JD vs NO debate is that NO eventually became very bland and formulaic. There was nowt interesting or good about late NO. Same can’t be said of anything JD did

They’re the same band though. The sound was an evolution through time and technology. They’d have continued the same with Curtis (some of the later JD stuff you could hear the seeds of New Order growing).

Another thing to consider in the JD vs NO debate is that NO eventually became very bland and formulaic. There was nowt interesting or good about late NO. Same can’t be said of anything JD did
Yeah, but they were early 20s in JD and late 50s in New Order.
The last New Order album is the best album you can ever expect from a fella now in his mid 60s.

Last edited:

I agree about how new and exciting JD sounded. They seemed raw and full of energy, with Ian Curtis epitomising the odd and unusual attraction of their look and sound.
I moved to Manchester in 1979 and they summed-up the bleak and depressing feel of the City.
But, perhaps due to being young, you did not feel downhearted. There was a great sense of things can change and there were loads of down-at-heel venues to see live music.
Even during the later Moss Side riots, Manchester seemed a City that would get through the Thatcher Years.
Unfortunately, due to her destruction of industry in certain parts of the country, other cities/regions never regained their former glories.

Decades and New Dawn Fades are probably their best tunes. New Dawn Fades came on shuffle in the car the other day, been a couple years since I heard it and it sounded fresh as owt.

Yeah, but they were early 20s in JD and late 50s in New Order.
The last New Order album is the best album you can ever expect from a fella now in his mid 60s.

music complete is a pretty good album for someone around 60yo, possibly their best since technique 25 years earlier

their album output in the 80s was fantastic, credit to rob gretton keeping them hungry and argumentative 😁 I guess as they get older output does diminish abit

Nearly went Barnesy rap, known for blue Monday, and 1990 England tune is New Order, Ian Curtis went around the time I was born. I picked up on the music later in my days

Is this not awesome? Serious question
Took me years to realise the lass was singing the words it in trainspotting

Peter Hook said it all went wrong for NOs sound when Barnie went all muso and wanted everything in a particular key that he could sing. Him trying to get to high notes and not quite making it is definitely part of what made NO really good. Authentic and not contrived
Agree 100%. Much rather listen to that than some classically trained singer or some karaoke vocal gymnastic goon on Autotune.

Back