Why is there a GB and NI

safcrob

Winger
In the Olympics etc, if NI is part of GB then shouldn't it just be GB? and another thing ( which is probably not worth a constructive chat over) why is it you only see an English athletes get stated as a Briton?

In the Olympics etc, if NI is part of GB then shouldn't it just be GB? and another thing ( which is probably not worth a constructive chat over) why is it you only see an English athletes get stated as a Briton?
One day someone decided to give the team a rebranding as Team GB and in a miraculous turn of events for the modern age no one had a hissy fit, emotional breakdown, felt stressed, pressured, outraged or needed of a safe space.

Instead the athletes from Northern Ireland just said so fuck, I have an Olympics to train for.

Great Britain is a geographical term. It refers to the island/land mass that’s made up of the combined mainlands of England, Scotland and Wales. That plus the British Isles plus Northern Ireland is the United Kingdom.

Iirc.

The “Great” in Britain is nothing to do with how cool and clever we all are. Sorry to disappoint everyone. Especially those living in Greater Manchester.

2019 and somebody has to explain this.

PS : can somebody explain to The President of the United States that “England” is not just the old fashioned way of saying “UK”? I know he’s got a lot on his plate at the moment but it’s important to me. Ta.

Great Britain is a geographical term. It refers to the island/land mass that’s made up of the combined mainlands of England, Scotland and Wales. That plus the British Isles plus Northern Ireland is the United Kingdom.

Iirc.

The “Great” in Britain is nothing to do with how cool and clever we all are. Sorry to disappoint everyone. Especially those living in Greater Manchester.

PS : can somebody explain to The President of the United States that “England” is not just the old fashioned way of saying “UK”? I know he’s got a lot on his plate at the moment but it’s important to me. Ta.
Perhaps you should refer to the map posted by @HellsBells

Never really thought about it before.
Why is our country/land mass called "Great" Britain?

Wild guess.... something to do with Brittany being "other" Britain?

Already been explained by @HellsBells in her graphic she posted.

The islands as a whole are the British Isles. The biggest island is called Great Britain because it's the biggest.

Last edited:
Already been explained by @HellsBells in her graphic she posted.

The islands as a whole are the British Isles. The biggest island is called Great Britain because it's the biggest.
I have also heard it's in reference/comparison to Brittany (ie Bretagne, and Grand Bretagne). However it's worth also pointing out that the term British Isles can be controversial (eg to Irish): British Isles naming dispute - Wikipedia

Also this, with ref to the Brittany concept: The UK, Britain, Great Britain, The British Isles, England - what's the difference?
Great Britain is not a country; it’s a landmass. It is known as ‘Great’ because it is the largest island in the British Isles, and houses the countries of England, Scotland and Wales within its shores.

The name Britain derives from the Roman word Britannia, but there are two conflicting arguments about why the ‘Great’ was stuck on the front of it. The first is that it is used to distinguish Britain from its similar sounding, but much smaller French neighbour, Brittany. The second reason is due to the ego of a certain King James I, who wanted to make it abundantly clear that he wasn’t just the king of the old Roman Britain (which only included England and some of Wales), but of the entire island; thus he referred to himself as King of Great Britain.

Iirc.

:lol:

And your PS ? It irritates me how many times, in books, news articles and sometimes on Youtube that everyone is referred to as English.

It’s all semantics. NI isn’t part of GB. It’s part of the U.K.

Logon or register to see this image

British Isles is an outdated term used only by Brits who have a political agenda...

...that's according to all the Irish people I know who are very much in favour of a united Ireland, love Ireland, love being Irish, but live in London and have no plans to move back to Ireland in the future.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The clue is in the name of the nation you live in.

Tit.
British Isles is an outdated term used only by Brits who have a political agenda...

...that's according to all the Irish people I know who are very much in favour of a united Ireland, love Ireland, love being Irish, but live in London and have no plans to move back to Ireland in the future.
Micks aren't the brightest.

Last edited:

Back