Why is Charles Darwin revered when he's a thieving nipple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Also, let's not forget that Darwin spent most of the second half of his life running experiments to back up his work to provide evidence. His work on earthworms and seedlings will probably be scoffed at as being boring but they were incredibly important contributions to science.

There are lots of examples throughout science history where some lucky scientist gets the credit for an invention or discovery when the real donkey work, and often the earlier invention/discovery, was done by another lesser known scientist. The discovery of oxygen, the electric light bulb and the structure of DNA being examples.

Aye the yanks give credit to Edison for the light bulb when it was really Swan, a local lad. The Souter lighthouse was the first electric one in the world. I think Edison was quick to snap up patents that other people had done the background on.

A lad told me that in the battle between AC and DC Edison won with AC but DC (Tesla's idea?) would have been much more efficient. Tesla had a vision that was not unlike the Internet with electricity in place of wifi so machines and lights could be charged for free from a dome of power circumnavigating the globe.

And Newton got the credit for inventing gravity, Adam and Eve missed a trick there.

(Yes, I know it's discovered, that's part of the joke)

Yep. Also, let's not forget that Darwin spent most of the second half of his life running experiments to back up his work to provide evidence. His work on earthworms and seedlings will probably be scoffed at as being boring but they were incredibly important contributions to science.

There are lots of examples throughout science history where some lucky scientist gets the credit for an invention or discovery when the real donkey work, and often the earlier invention/discovery, was done by another lesser known scientist. The discovery of oxygen, the electric light bulb and the structure of DNA being examples.
There's a big battle going on about patents concerning CRISPR - the fact there could be billions at stake is just incidental.

There's a big battle going on about patents concerning CRISPR - the fact there could be billions at stake is just incidental.
Apparently flight mh370 was to do with a patent for a new microchip...officials from the company who built it were on the plane. Patent is now owned by the Rothschilds....apparently.

Aye the yanks give credit to Edison for the light bulb when it was really Swan, a local lad. The Souter lighthouse was the first electric one in the world. I think Edison was quick to snap up patents that other people had done the background on.

A lad told me that in the battle between AC and DC Edison won with AC but DC (Tesla's idea?) would have been much more efficient. Tesla had a vision that was not unlike the Internet with electricity in place of wifi so machines and lights could be charged for free from a dome of power circumnavigating the globe.
It didn't end well for Tesla after that.

Aye I believe he was reclusive and massively OCD. Lived out his life in hotel rooms the umber of which had to add up to three or summat.

The plant he tried to build is all derelict now. Shame - great man.

Other way around - edison preferred dc, ac was the better solution as its easier to step up voltages for transmission them down for use but his company had already invested in dc and more importantly held patents so he could cash in. Edison tried to make out ac was too dangerous and used media pressure to highlight deaths and injuries caused by ac, even assisting with the design of the electric chair to use AC to show how risky it was. edison was by all accounts a bit of a shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back