Why haven't dogs evolved to avoid eating rubbish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I remember years ago I was probably about 12 and my mates auntys dog had just had puppies so we went round to see them. All was great for a while, got to hold a couple of them all that sort of thing. Then like clockwork all the puppies starting shitting on the newspaper that had been laid down for them and no sooner had the shite hit the floor the dirty fuckin mother dog was running around like all her Christmases had come at once eating the puppies shite.
I'd never seen this happen before and it's mentally scarred me.

I had a swing bin in the kitchen but the lid cracked and no longer sat tight on it. One of my dogs discovered he could now flip the lid off and eat out of the bin.

Replaced the broken bin with a pedal bin and all was fine for a couple of weeks. Then I couldn't believe my eyes when he strolled into the kitchen, put his paw on the pedal and started eating out the bin :eek::lol:

I've now got a child lock on the bin :oops:

I remember years ago I was probably about 12 and my mates auntys dog had just had puppies so we went round to see them. All was great for a while, got to hold a couple of them all that sort of thing. Then like clockwork all the puppies starting shitting on the newspaper that had been laid down for them and no sooner had the shite hit the floor the dirty fuckin mother dog was running around like all her Christmases had come at once eating the puppies shite.
I'd never seen this happen before and it's mentally scarred me.

Tidying up, good for her. Now they walk off laughing knowing ther daft owner will.

I wonder how humans managed 4000 years ago. Drinking water out of holes, eating whatever food we could find.

If I drink water that's been in the glass for 2 days on my bedside table, I'm risking the trots.

I wonder how humans managed 4000 years ago. Drinking water out of holes, eating whatever food we could find.

If I drink water that's been in the glass for 2 days on my bedside table, I'm risking the trots.

My brother's mate from Aycliffe used to pick up pizzas from the floor and eat them on a night out.

Cos they have no idea where their next meal is coming from.
Mine is well fed and does get spoilt. Still goes after discarded kebabs and dragging dead seagulls about.

Mutts have a finely tuned sense of smell but why do they eat anything from other dog shite to human vomit outside of pubs?

Surely they'd have sussed by now that they'll do evil farts and barf all over their owner's carpet?

Dogs didn't evolve naturally over millions of years to have specific eating habits, like most creatures on earth have. They've been artificially evolved from wolves by humans over the course of about 10,000 years or so to be more friendly and more attractive to look at.

At no point in the family tree have humans taken a litter of dogs, seen that all but one of them eats shit and puke, killed all the ones that do and assisted the reproduction of the one that didn't in order to attempt to create a subspecies that avoids those "foods".

evolution, it takes millenia
Not in the case of dogs apparently. There is research that suggests that it took the domestic dog only seventy generations to evolve from the wolf and that this transformation took place in Asia about 32000 years ago. There are other theories that it happened in Europe about 19,000 year ago but it was a very quick evolution where ever it occured.

Dogs didn't evolve naturally over millions of years to have specific eating habits, like most creatures on earth have. They've been artificially evolved from wolves by humans over the course of about 10,000 years or so to be more friendly and more attractive to look at.

At no point in the family tree have humans taken a litter of dogs, seen that all but one of them eats shit and puke, killed all the ones that do and assisted the reproduction of the one that didn't in order to attempt to create a subspecies that avoids those "foods".

Good points, wolves must have steel stomachs when they eat leftover pizzas in city centres!

used to, as in before he died?

He evolved into a normal person I think!

Reactions: PTR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back