Why does my washer pong.

We cleaned ours with dishwasher tablets at the recommendation of a neighbour. It must have loosened up even more gunk as it now smells even worse.

We don't even have a dishwasher, FWIW.

When not is use leave door slightly open, also don't leave wet washing in there for ages with the door closed.
We cleaned ours with dishwasher tablets at the recommendation of a neighbour. It must have loosened up even more gunk as it now smells even worse.

We don't even have a dishwasher, FWIW.
How do you even get through life

done just about everything apart from using bleach..thanks, will give it a go

Have you checked inside the detergent drawer? If you take the tray out and look where the water fills the tray you may find that’s full of mould.

If you have the time and commitment you can usually get the whole fill system out and clean it. The hose from the tray to the drum may also need a clean.

Unfortunately as almost all washers are now cold fill they tend to fill up with gunk incredibly easily.

Using liquid conditioner tends to make washers stink for some reason. Take the powder drawer out and check it is clean both inside and underneath. The dishwasher tablets are a good idea but it might take a couple or more very hot runs to completely clean the machine.

If the stink persists and you have cleaned the machine throughout then you need to check if there is something either underneath the machine, for example a mop head or floor cloth or something similar, or if the smell is coming from outside from the drains.

There are loads of drain cleaners available but bleach and boiling water tend to be my go to remedy. I only ever use tablets in mine and never have any bother with it.

We had a mystery smell in our kitchen once and eventually tracked it down to the mop. Once the mop was put outside the smell went.

Using liquid conditioner tends to make washers stink for some reason. Take the powder drawer out and check it is clean both inside and underneath. The dishwasher tablets are a good idea but it might take a couple or more very hot runs to completely clean the machine.

If the stink persists and you have cleaned the machine throughout then you need to check if there is something either underneath the machine, for example a mop head or floor cloth or something similar, or if the smell is coming from outside from the drains.

There are loads of drain cleaners available but bleach and boiling water tend to be my go to remedy. I only ever use tablets in mine and never have any bother with it.

We had a mystery smell in our kitchen once and eventually tracked it down to the mop. Once the mop was put outside the smell went.

Cold fill machines and cold washes. I'm not sure on the exact reason why this makes a difference but I assume cold water doesn't turn the softener into a solution as well as hot water. Per my post above, if you ever disconnected the hose between the tray and the drum you'll likely find it's absolutely caked in softener slime.

Usually once a month I run a maintenance cycle with a limescale remover tablet and it’s been alright. I never use fabric conditioner as think it’s a waste of money, usually get Aldi washing capsules as well with a small amount of conditioner in as that avoids pissing about with the drawer and getting that pitted up with shite.

Bicarbonate of soda should also do the trick, buy a small box from wilko and hoy it in the drum and set it away.

Usually once a month I run a maintenance cycle with a limescale remover tablet and it’s been alright. I never use fabric conditioner as think it’s a waste of money, usually get Aldi washing capsules as well with a small amount of conditioner in as that avoids pissing about with the drawer and getting that pitted up with shite.

Bicarbonate of soda should also do the trick, buy a small box from wilko and hoy it in the drum and set it away.
done that, still stinks...im at a loss to be honest, maybe time to invest in a new one.

How much white vinegar did you use? About a pint is what I use.
What temperature did you use? I'd go right up to the top setting.

And as someone pointed out, clear out that sump filter thingy first.

How much white vinegar did you use? About a pint is what I use.
What temperature did you use? I'd go right up to the top setting.

And as someone pointed out, clear out that sump filter thingy first.
where is the sump filter?
im asking that as pong now also from behind washer too.

Last edited:
If it smells with the door closed it's probably the waste pipe.
Ours used to go into a standpipe but it started to smell. I pulled the washer out to clean the standpipe but it was a faff on. So I connected it to a waste connection under the utility room sink. Now the sink smells.

If it smells with the door closed it's probably the waste pipe.
Ours used to go into a standpipe but it started to smell. I pulled the washer out to clean the standpipe but it was a faff on. So I connected it to a waste connection under the utility room sink. Now the sink smells.
Connecting to a proper sealed fitting is your best bet but if the drain is poked down a standpipe pour a load of bleach/hotwater down that.

Back