Why do you think we deserve to be walking this league?

Serious question, reading the match thread we should be steamrollering teams like Rochdale, having clean sheets every week and scoring a hatful.

Now why on earth would that happen? We’re a league one side, with, (a few exceptions like mcgeady), a team of league one players, and yet we should be winning every week, and Ross is shite cos he can’t deliver it.

I think we’re exactly where we deserve to be, we’ve got no divine right to be better than every other fucker, we sound like mags and need to have a reality check.
Like it or not, we're a biggest club in this division, not sure why you can't get your head round that.

Serious question, reading the match thread we should be steamrollering teams like Rochdale, having clean sheets every week and scoring a hatful.

Now why on earth would that happen? We’re a league one side, with, (a few exceptions like mcgeady), a team of league one players, and yet we should be winning every week, and Ross is shite cos he can’t deliver it.

I think we’re exactly where we deserve to be, we’ve got no divine right to be better than every other fucker, we sound like mags and need to have a reality check.

Because we're the biggest team in it

Lacks Ambition^ 🤔

Might be the biggest club, I am sure he can get his head round it, but what has that got to do with it.

More of a relevant question is do we have the best players and best team
Well that's the reason we expect to be beating teams in the third division, can you get your head around that?
Unless you and the OP have only started supporting us in the last 3 years or so you've got me baffled tbh.

It’s not about ambition or size of club or any other ephemeral shite. We should be walking this division because our club is far better resourced than all of our rivals. If we aren’t walking this division it’s because the club is not using its resources as well as it could.

Because we are a bigger club with more money. We are the only club in the division who could buy another teams top scorer, watch him get injured and not perform so buy a second goalscorer and then get another goalscorer in.

We've got multiple internationals in this squad, still. We have McGeady, who is the best player in the league. We've signed the team captain from multiple other league one teams. The majority of our squad have played at a higher level. We should be destroying teams not because we deserve to but because our team is one of the best in the league on paper.

Cos we're Sunderland and the league is full of clubs like Rochdale.

That's a serious answer and one everybody involved should really sit up and take notice of.

Well that's the reason we expect to be beating teams in the third division, can you get your head around that?
Unless you and the OP have only started supporting us in the last 3 years or so you've got me baffled tbh.

I think what all football fans should know and be able to get their head around is that football games are won on the field by the players.

The op is saying we have league one players just like the other teams.

Been the biggest club, doesn’t make the players any better think that’s pretty easy to get your head around?

we don't deserve to beat anyone, however with legacy players like mcgeady and pretty much the pick of players at this level, plus the CVs of people like leadbitter, its fair to expect to see a convincing display once in a while. we were hanging on at the end there and we were lucky they couldnt stick the chances away.

going forward we are minging aside from mcgeady and he is a winger so naturally will have off days.

for me theres too many not involved enough each game and the passing is atrocious. it unacceptable to have poor mclauglin playing so out of position as left back after having all summer to sort that position out. the lad has had a poor start to his career but yet to play in his position.

power and leadbitter need to get the ball fwd more, dare i say actually run fwd with it like opposition midfielders do , likewise Mcgeogch. we need people to drive up the pitch with the ball and get teams on the back foot , not able to regroup so easily.

Gooch isnt an outlet either, doesnt win headers, doesnt run down the line with the ball enough and his end product isnt good enough. For someone who was in the fringes of the team in the premier league, it makes you wonder if he has gone backwards.

All of this points to Ross and Coton not recruiting properly this summer. One paced and lightweight. Main positives in the last two games have been Big Oz at the back and wyke giving the opposition something to think about. onien with his assists too.

the real grim fact is that we are now certainly settled as a league 1 standard side. Grigg shuffles around like the premier league luxury striker who thinks he is in the wrong league. Maybe he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what all football fans should know and be able to get their head around is that football games are won on the field by the players.

The op is saying we have league one players just like the other teams.

Been the biggest club, doesn’t make the players any better think that’s pretty easy to get your head around?

And I'm saying we should have better players than we have - I'm sorry for being dissapointed that we're not beating third division clubs.
No way do we deserve to walk the league, we have a league 1 team and we have to earn promotion with hard craft and beating teams! Came close last year hopefully can do it this year!

No-one is saying that.

And I'm saying we should have better players than we have - I'm sorry for being dissapointed that we're not beating third division clubs.

No-one is saying that.

I agree with that we should, but at the moment, like the op I don’t think the players we currently have are good enough to walk the league despite been the biggest club that’s all I am saying.

Last edited:
I agree with that we should, but at the moment, like the op I don’t think the players we currently have are good enough to walk the league despite been the biggest club that’s all I am saying.

I'm just pissed off with people saying it's arrogant to think we should be beating teams easily in this league - it isn't.

Back