Why do we still have copper currency

Status
Not open for further replies.

most condescending comment ive read on here for a while

In what way is it condescending? She didn’t accuse anyone on here of being gullible and it’s a well known marketing technique that has been showed to work.

For me the bigger question is why has so much money been spent on a new £1, £5 and £10 denomination with the Queen on?

With respect she'll be dead within 5 years and all the coins and notes will have to be redone then....so why have they wasted so much money now? Ridiculous.

They usually circulate them for a while after the death of a Monarch.

Last edited:
Apart from the marketing side of things - I thought it was a mechanism to prevent pilfering - by charging irregular amounts, staff would have to open tills to give out change, rather than just pocketing the notes.
Giving 1p change at £1.99 is easier than 94p at £2.06 as well

I rarely have cash. I pay my hairdresser cash as he doesn't have a card machine but he does accept bank transfers from regular customers on a trust system. I use cash at the match for a programme, a lottery ticket and the bairns with buckets.

School has gone digital now and load things onto a parent portal so I can log in and pay by card. For small grocery shops, it's quicker just to tap a contactless card than pay with money.
It is easier and thats what its all about these days,i'm interested to know how well people manage their money when its all easier.Not long ago you had money in your pocket and once it was gone you couldn't buy anything,using that method you spent accordingly.Its ok dabbing a card non stop if you're David beckham

Last edited:
So, say he does 20 cuts a day he’ll be losing out on £120 a week?

and you can't hide it from the tax man as easy.

I have a friend who throws her copper in the bin.. couldnt believe it when I saw it one day.. "I cant be doing with that brown stuff"

I said I'd provide a recycling bin for brown stuff and pick it up every couple of months free of charge

Surely he has a say in it, or at least some influence in the decision. It's his gormless head that will be going on the coins and notes. Can't we just have Kate Middleton's arse (or her sister's) on notes and coins instead of his head?

I wouldn't lick a stamp with Charles' arse on it.:eek:
However with Kate's sister's arse......

Giving 1p change at £1.99 is easier than 94p at £2.06 as well

It is easier and thats what its all about these days,i'm interested to know how well people manage their money when its all easier.Not long ago you had money in your pocket and once it was gone you couldn't buy anything,using that method you spent accordingly.Its ok dabbing a card non stop if you're David beckham
Years ago, I worked at BSC Profiles in Newton Aycliffe, we paid the people on the shop floor in cash. In about 1982 we changed to bank transfer and some of the lads had to open a bank account for the first time.
One of the lads got a letter from the bank telling him he was overdrawn and couldn’t understand that as he still had cheques left in his cheque book.

I think that's where some people struggle and why I think budgeting and personal finance should be taught in schools. You only have to look on sites like money saving expert, or the thread on here about people spending their housing benefit and getting into rent arrears, or my son telling me some fellow students spend all their loan and then can't pay for the essentials towards the end of the term. To be fair to him, I taught him how to budget and he's managed really well without needing to ask for any extra from me.

I think that's where some people struggle and why I think budgeting and personal finance should be taught in schools. You only have to look on sites like money saving expert, or the thread on here about people spending their housing benefit and getting into rent arrears, or my son telling me some fellow students spend all their loan and then can't pay for the essentials towards the end of the term. To be fair to him, I taught him how to budget and he's managed really well without needing to ask for any extra from me.
I used to use my cheque book stub as a running total back in the day,it would start on payday take you d debits out,and then if you sent a cheque off or went to the cash point they come off and you knew roughly what you had.Imagine hitting the contactless all night on weekend, no way you can keep tabs

Counted my copper & 5p pieces because of this thread and have the princely sum of £8.82 :eek:

Gutted as there looked more. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back