Why do we still have copper currency

Status
Not open for further replies.

How much money is in jars and cups bottom of draws and stuff? I always take out copper and 5p coins and put them into jars and cups in the cupboard. Then cash it in for the kids when we go away.. they get almost 75p each.. lucky buggers

For me the bigger question is why has so much money been spent on a new £1, £5 and £10 denomination with the Queen on?

With respect she'll be dead within 5 years and all the coins and notes will have to be redone then....so why have they wasted so much money now? Ridiculous.
:lol: love a forward thinker me

The club's business bank doesn't accept copper currency when we bank the takings (everything we sell is in 5/10p increments). We've got a couple of hundred quid in money bags on the office floor.

It won’t happen in my lifetime but I think cash should be phased out. With the increase of contactless payments, Apple Pay, android pay, PayPal and the soon to be coming apple money (so sending money person to person via iMessage), is there much of a need for cash? I always find it a pain to have to go the cash point and pretty much never have cash on me becuase it’s rare I need it.

I rarely have cash. I pay my hairdresser cash as he doesn't have a card machine but he does accept bank transfers from regular customers on a trust system. I use cash at the match for a programme, a lottery ticket and the bairns with buckets.

School has gone digital now and load things onto a parent portal so I can log in and pay by card. For small grocery shops, it's quicker just to tap a contactless card than pay with money.

I rarely have cash. I pay my hairdresser cash as he doesn't have a card machine but he does accept bank transfers from regular customers on a trust system

tell him to get an izettle, only costs £30 and £1 per transaction. Links to any android or apple smartphone and is really easy to use.

So, say he does 20 cuts a day he’ll be losing out on £120 a week?

Depends on what he is doing, not worth it for lots of £5 mens shaves, at least not without charging a small fee for using the card machine. If he is doing women's hair at £40-50 a go then the charge could be easier to absorb and more than made up for the extra sales for people who want to pay by card.

Was just thinking about this its a pointless thing now you still see £99.99 or similar for stuff and i think wtf... someone educate me please!
Do it everyday when quoting £79.48 sounds better than £80.22 ,just how it is.The pennies are important except at retail end i suppose where it just sits on sideboards or gets put in jars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back