Why do we still have copper currency

Status
Not open for further replies.

A market trader told me years ago that prices end in .99 so that the workers have to open the till to get change. Makes it a little awkward just to slip the notes into their pockets.

A market trader told me years ago that prices end in .99 so that the workers have to open the till to get change. Makes it a little awkward just to slip the notes into their pockets.

Surprisingly, charity shops have problems with theft from volunteers working on the till. Some use external agencies to catch the fraudsters.

Apart from the marketing side of things - I thought it was a mechanism to prevent pilfering - by charging irregular amounts, staff would have to open tills to give out change, rather than just pocketing the notes.

It always amuses me in shops when I wait for my 1p change and they give me a dirty look.

For me the bigger question is why has so much money been spent on a new £1, £5 and £10 denomination with the Queen on?

With respect she'll be dead within 5 years and all the coins and notes will have to be redone then....so why have they wasted so much money now? Ridiculous.

For me the bigger question is why has so much money been spent on a new £1, £5 and £10 denomination with the Queen on?

With respect she'll be dead within 5 years and all the coins and notes will have to be redone then....so why have they wasted so much money now? Ridiculous.

But you'll still be able to use it. Old shilling and florin coins were still in circulation until early 90's l. I reckon the queen will live to over 100 anyway.

But you'll still be able to use it. Old shilling and florin coins were still in circulation until early 90's l. I reckon the queen will live to over 100 anyway.

I reckon old Charlie will want his mothers face out of circulation as quickly as possible personally!

Marketing. People will happily buy things for £99.99 but will think paying £100 for it is too expensive :eek:
I never take into account the pennies bit on fuel prices.

I can remember old money with Victoria on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charles might surprise us and suggest saving money by not reprinting the money. Then again he talks to plants and passionately supports fox hunting, so maybe not.

I always thought it was the make people thing it’s cheaper than it is. People rounding down £49.99 to £40 rather than the £50 it pretty much is. But they I didn’t understand why cars have a 5 at the end. You often see them for £4495 or £9995. Do they really have that much of a problem with people paying in coins.

Don't be daft man, they'll stay in circulation for as long as they are fit for use. And long may she reign too.

It won’t happen in my lifetime but I think cash should be phased out. With the increase of contactless payments, Apple Pay, android pay, PayPal and the soon to be coming apple money (so sending money person to person via iMessage), is there much of a need for cash? I always find it a pain to have to go the cash point and pretty much never have cash on me becuase it’s rare I need it.

because she said people cant see past 1p difference. i think absolutely everyone can.

Dont think she quite said that. It is psycological though. Look at house prices 199,950 rather than a straight 200k for example

It won’t happen in my lifetime but I think cash should be phased out. With the increase of contactless payments, Apple Pay, android pay, PayPal and the soon to be coming apple money (so sending money person to person via iMessage), is there much of a need for cash? I always find it a pain to have to go the cash point and pretty much never have cash on me becuase it’s rare I need it.

Loads of folk stuggle to budget properly and having the physical cash in their hands makes it easier for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back