Why do England not fulfill their promise?

We're just not as good as the other top international teams.

Youth development has come on leaps and bounds in the last decade but we could do more.

Maybe something along the lines of rewards for playing or registering young English lads. Something like leeway on ffp or a bonus 5,10,20% on prize money on a sliding scale depending on how many homegrown players play on average per game.

Not really sure how as I could see the above ideas benefitting the bigger clubs.

Tell you what I'd love to see, a blanket ban on buying homegrown players under the age of 21. Loans only, certainly no loans to buy etc.

Over the last few years I think we have performed at least as well as we should tbh. This is far from the best England side in my lifetime but they've made it to a final and a semi final. It's very hard to win tournaments but we've often been capable of being in and around the latter stages. For me this is very much a QF of the world cup standard side and that's about as far as I think we'll get

We're just not as good as the other top international teams.

Youth development has come on leaps and bounds in the last decade but we could do more.

Maybe something along the lines of rewards for playing or registering young English lads. Something like leeway on ffp or a bonus 5,10,20% on prize money on a sliding scale depending on how many homegrown players play on average per game.

Not really sure how as I could see the above ideas benefitting the bigger clubs.

Tell you what I'd love to see, a blanket ban on buying homegrown players under the age of 21. Loans only, certainly no loans to buy etc.

The wages of an English under 21 player don't count towards ffp

The wages of an English under 23 player who has been at the club 5 years or more don't count towards ffp.

Think that would work?

He's left it too late to remodel the defence, but he should.

A back four of James-Stones-Tomori-Shaw might be alright with a run of games. But he's been pissing around.

I've defended him to the hilt, he's stil easily the best England manager of my lifetime. But the defence need to change to create different options up front. And they need minutes together, quick.

He's left it too late to remodel the defence, but he should.

A back four of James-Stones-Tomori-Shaw might be alright with a run of games. But he's been pissing around.

I've defended him to the hilt, he's stil easily the best England manager of my lifetime. But the defence need to change to create different options up front. And they need minutes together, quick.
Who should it be

There’s a decent squad in them, but baring Kane, none are “world class”, except maybe Pickford.

Forget who they play their club football for, from back to front they’re all just good players.

Pickford is arguably one of the best keepers in the world and Kane is in the top 5 number 9s in the world.

Everyone else is okay. Foden was massively hyped as the second coming of David Silva, but he’s not fit to lace even Bernardo’s boots. Sterling is wasteful. Rice is the most overhyped player in world football. Maguire is shite. We don’t have any flair players and couple that with the most negative manager in the world, it’s hardly surprising.

We overachieved in the last 2 tournaments and that has warped peoples perspective. We’ll go back to being a first round knock out team at the World Cup.
Would disagree with some of this, I would say Phil Foden’s one of England’s best young players as does his club manager who plays him whenever he can. But hey, what does Guardiola know compared to posters on here.
I also think Declan Rice is an excellent midfielder, has physical presence, very mobile, exactly the kind of player we’ve needed at Sunderland for about ten years.

The answer is
--------------------Pickford
TTA ------ Stones ------- Alese ------- Shaw
-----------Bellingham ------- Rice
Foden---------------------------------Sterling
-------------Kane----------Toney

Kane plays as a false 9 most of the time anyway, Toney can stretch the defence. Foden can drift inside when TTA smashes past him on the wing.
Sterling can join the attack, make a 3. Rice can hold back, Bellingham can bring the pall forward.
Aji will sort out the left CB problem.
Stop cocking about and get em beat

Last edited:
The players won’t admit it but I suspect a lot of them find playing for England a chore rather than the pinnacle of their careers like it used to be.

Saying that back in the seventies and eighties we were still shite.

Simple really, always had the same problems to differing degrees:

-Players aren’t as good as the press tell you they are compared to their foreign peers
-English players are protected and inflated at their clubs with foreign players doing the hard work for the English lad to do the bit that gets glory ‘one of our own’ marketing strategy.
-England, English coaches, English players, and English fans have never understood defensive tactics and show zero intention of trying. This allows pretty average teams on paper to set up with balance, frustrate and win.

Teams go through troughs and peaks, the england side has just gone through a peak as the rest of Europe troughs and continues too. Those are the problems though, and until they are addressed it’s unlikely England will win anything. Most of the country isn’t even ready to recognise these problems.

It’s crazy that we are heading into a World Cup with Holland, Denmark, and Hungary as by far the best European teams, and the latter haven’t even qualified

Last edited:
It's the English way. In most sports when we achieve something (like reaching the final of the Euros, an Ashes series win etc) then it's foot off the peddle, lie back and job's done for a bit.

In my opinion ( I can here the yawns)

If we had a manager who just thought .

We are mint in attack, iffy at the back , let’s just go for it.

But we haven’t .

We have postman pat in charge .

Back