Why can cats disappear for ages?

I think in part it’s that people feed other people’s cats. My partner’s mother’s cat would go off for days at a time as she had at least two other houses who were feeding her.

We and next door both have ground floor extensions and their cat will sit on the roof of theirs outside their kid's bedroom window at 7am in the morning and howl. We're temporarily in the back room (new wiring/wardrobes/decorating going on in the main bedroom) and the cat walks across the extension roof(s) and howls outside our window as well. I'm not going to get into giving it dreamies and that because I don't want it to forget where its home is. Plus we have a cat. Who sends their cat Christmas cards apparently.

one of mine has now been missing for 3 weeks, has disappeared off before a couple of times but never for this long

starting to fear the worst, although nothing on the local missing cats page on facey

Been putting up feeders for the birds this year as watching them last spring/summer in the garden was good for the soul given covid and all that. Recently, though, been chasing a cat from the garden. Caught it with a blackbird in our back garden last week, chased it but too late to save the bird. Came home yesterday to find wood pigeon feathers all over. Safe to say I'm not a fan of cats.

Been putting up feeders for the birds this year as watching them last spring/summer in the garden was good for the soul given covid and all that. Recently, though, been chasing a cat from the garden. Caught it with a blackbird in our back garden last week, chased it but too late to save the bird. Came home yesterday to find wood pigeon feathers all over. Safe to say I'm not a fan of cats.
Whilst they can handle a pigeon it’s fairly rare a cat takes them or eats all of them. Could have been a sparrow hawk.

Be either getting loads of bait off an auld dear somewhere else, or roadkill. Got a cat and a dog, I reckon the fundamental difference between them is if you were hanging off a ledge, the dog would try to pull you up, while the cat would stamp on your fingers.
I always say if your house is burning down a dog will wake you. A cat will say, "shit, one less place to eat"

Was on holiday bout 7 yrs ago in s africa. Cat strutting round the b n b we were in. Slept in our room every night. 4 days later i asked girl at front desk whats the cats name...

What cat?

Cheeky bastard was neighbours pet that just went round begging from all the guests

It's instinct though marra, horrible to see but the cat can't help it. On the other side of the coin I love watching my cat sitting at the window talking to the birds at the feeder, tattling away for ages. In my mind he's saying "come here little birdy, I won't hurt you, honestly hahahaha"
Our cat, Gerald, is so thick, that you often see him sitting there, waiting for the next thought to turn up!
You not confusing the cat with yourself Tim ?
Sorry I couldn't resist with the name, loved the Tim and Dick sketches on Harry Enfield.

Last edited:
It has been a nice thing about lockdown and working from home next to a window, I got to know the routine of a couple of local cats. I’d see one in my veg patch about the same time every day. Probably looking at the fine clear soil, ready to dig and shit in it. A great habit to be in if I want my seedlings dug up and killed off. I’ve lost a lot of stuff to other peoples pets.

Now everytime I open the patio doors, the dog thinks that he has to chase a cat and will get a biscuit if he does. Not seen a cat in the garden for a while now,

It's instinct though marra, horrible to see but the cat can't help it. On the other side of the coin I love watching my cat sitting at the window talking to the birds at the feeder, tattling away for ages. In my mind he's saying "come here little birdy, I won't hurt you, honestly hahahaha"
Mine sits under the feeders making a really weird noise as he can't get at the birds. The birds know this and the Goldfinches seem to deliberately drop seeds on him which antagonises him more. The Crows just drop stones on him.

Mine sits under the feeders making a really weird noise as he can't get at the birds. The birds know this and the Goldfinches seem to deliberately drop seeds on him which antagonises him more. The Crows just drop stones on him.

The little clicky sound with the mouth moving fast, think all cats do it at birds, they do from my experience anyway.

Back