Why can cats disappear for ages?

We have two who wouldn’t last a second outside now as we’ve kept them indoors. They are canny but much prefer dogs and would have one if lifestyle allowed

We have two who wouldn’t last a second outside now as we’ve kept them indoors. They are canny but much prefer dogs and would have one if lifestyle allowed
My friend the owner is of this thinking. Loves the cat but all this stress is too much to go through regular and the kids are only young but can tell something is up with no cat return.

The cat in question was a house cat till couple of years ago when it got out and did not come back for 2 days, since then has adapted ok.

About ten days ago I was observing two women in our street trying to entice a cat into a cage. They were unsuccessful and the next day they were here again.
Turns out the cat belonged to one of the women and it went missing two years ago. There’s an old lady just along from us who feeds the cat.
The cat went missing from an address about six miles away from where we live.

My friend the owner is of this thinking. Loves the cat but all this stress is too much to go through regular and the kids are only young but can tell something is up with no cat return.

The cat in question was a house cat till couple of years ago when it got out and did not come back for 2 days, since then has adapted ok.

Yeah my Mrs would panic too as we live city centre. Shame as although they know no different they are missing out on many curiosities, and the freedom to not shit in my living room, and instead on someone’s garden.

Hope your mate’s comes home safely

Even if my friend's cat turns up (hopefully it does), what a clart on worrying every so often when they disappear.

Apparently the cat that has gone missing it is completely out of character, it has stayed out for 3 nights a few years ago and the very very odd night, but being away for almost a week with some rain flung in, it is very worrying.
Ours went missing for a few days, turned up at the door at 6am meowing to be let in, dry as a bone despite the fact that it had been pissing it down all night. I think he'd been shut in a garage or shed. Was just as half term finished that he turned back up, so we thought people had been away, then come home. Alternatively maybe he was just being a little shit, is always a possibility with cats.
The cat that was around when I was born vanished for about four months before I came along. Mam and dad had given her up for good, and she turned up one night - vet gave her a look over and pointed out that the pads on her feet were very worn and maybe she'd walked a long way to get back.

Last edited:
I have these noises I make and I can get them to come to me for a stroke / scritchy scratch - sounds a bit weird I know but I think they know I'm a crazy cat lady at heart :lol:

I am the same with dogs. Sounds weird but have never been biten by a dog (yet) and approached some mean looking ones.
Just picked up my Indian and had to have a cuddle with a temperamental bull terrier. Absolute beauty and it was nudging me for more cuddles.
I guess I am not a cat lover due to the passion I have for wild birds.

Ours went missing for a few days, turned up at the door at 6am meowing to be let in, dry as a bone despite the fact that it had been pissing it down all night. I think he'd been shut in a garage or shed. Was just as half term finished that he turned back up, so we thought people had been away, then come home. Alternatively maybe he was just being a little shit, is always a possibility with cats.
The cat that was around when I was born vanished for about four months before I came along. Mam and dad had given her up for good, and she turned up one night - vet gave her a look over and pointed out that the pads on her feet were very worn and maybe she'd walked a long way to get back.
One of my cats was locked in a neighbours house all day, from 8am - 9pm, it was a Bank Holiday and they'd been out all day. Luckily they hadn't gone away for longer, they found her in their bed, under the duvet! I'd just let her out in the morning, and their front door must have been open as they were in and out loading up the car and she was curious and obviously they hadn't noticed her. I knew something was up as she never goes far away, or stays out for long. The neighbour knocked on my door at 9pm, holding her, I was so relieved.

I'm not reading the whole thread to see if there's a reference to Tommy Miller in it but if he's not in there somewhere... that's not really surprising is it.

A couple of years ago our cat went missing around december time, i remember it was freezing outside, we had ice and bitterly cold nights for a period of time and after a couple of days/nights we started to get worried. He had never done this before. As a few days turned into a week we thought the worst, we were walking the streets at night after work, driving round and round in circles. Then a week was suddenly 3 weeks and still no sign. We were both gutted and thought he had either died or been hit by a car but due to the cold weather too, we had given up any hope.

This was now about a week before xmas and one morning my partner was going out to work and as she opened the front door, the cat walked in as though nothing was wrong, she was screaming, i didnt know wtf was happening but obviously over the moon. i dont know where he had been but we both suspect he has a second home as it has happened again since but only for a week the last time.

@Ceverton i hope your friends cat turns up but id tell them not to give up hope as apparently its very common for cats to go missing then turn up when you least expect it.

Back