Why can cats disappear for ages?

There was a picture doing the rounds a few weeks back where someone had put their house up for sale and the neighbour had had a little snoop of the pictures online. Low and behold, their cat was photographed on the neighbours bed.
It’s when it’s the neighbours husband on the bed the trouble starts ........

I have no fear that my cats will ever leave me - some people don't interact with their cats, no wonder they go elsewhere. My sister's cat used to leave home for days and was discovered living up the street. At that time she had young noisy kids. I would have left too.
That’s why we were worried when ours never returned. Turned out she’d been run over and killed. Both me and Mrs K were devastated.

Even if my friend's cat turns up (hopefully it does), what a clart on worrying every so often when they disappear.

Apparently the cat that has gone missing it is completely out of character, it has stayed out for 3 nights a few years ago and the very very odd night, but being away for almost a week with some rain flung in, it is very worrying.
You never know what the cat has experienced while being out, it may have been spooked by something. One of mine used to be very friendly with people, but he has become wary. Also get them to check other people's sheds and garages. I shut one of mine in for a few hours this week. I was more upset than he was!

Why is it that cat people like dogs, but dog people always have to make a point of saying they hate cats whenever cats are mentioned?
Could not and would not have a cat.
Despise the bastard things but one of choice.
Absolutely love dogs mind you.
That’s not my favourite paragraph from “Green Eggs & Ham”

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Oh sorry to hear that. My sister's current cat is a house cat. It's a difficult decision to make. I'm sure yours had a lovely life, unlike lots of cats.
It happened 16 years ago. We got her two months after we got married. She had (in our opinion anyway!) a fantastic 11 years with us. I don’t mind admitting that I couldn’t stop crying for about a week afterwards. I’d just find myself tearing up anywhere. The odd thing is that I’ve never had fish and chips since then because we would always share that with her.

I have no fear that my cats will ever leave me - some people don't interact with their cats, no wonder they go elsewhere. My sister's cat used to leave home for days and was discovered living up the street. At that time she had young noisy kids. I would have left too.
Nope, adored my runaway cat. Used to come shopping with me and wait in the car, sat on my shoulders while I prepared dinner etc. Doesn't matter the interaction, they just don't care if they break your heart.

Cats can be very picky about people.
Bob (short for Kate) another of ours is quick to swipe, but she's permanently on edge (usually due to Monty) but she warms to some people when you least expect it.
She was very taken with the plumber for some reason!
How do you get Bob from Kate?

You never know what the cat has experienced while being out, it may have been spooked by something. One of mine used to be very friendly with people, but he has become wary. Also get them to check other people's sheds and garages. I shut one of mine in for a few hours this week. I was more upset than he was!
They have had the whole neighbourhood checking their gardens, sheds and any holes cat may have got into.
This is why my friend is worried, the cat has an entire family giving it love, attention and food.

Last edited:
Cats can be very picky about people.
Bob (short for Kate) another of ours is quick to swipe, but she's permanently on edge (usually due to Monty) but she warms to some people when you least expect it.
She was very taken with the plumber for some reason!
Erm, probably used to the plumber as he’s round yours so much while you’re out? 😉😂

Back