Why aye man

Well as a proud north tynesider I'd quite like to jump on it and see the sights. Unfortunately I'm terrified of heights so it's never going to happen.
I’ve no doubt the locals will have a bash, but once you’ve done it, I guess you’ve done it and it’s unlikely you’d do it again. If of course you man the fuck up and get on it. ;)

I’d imagine business visitors will unlikely go on it, and any other visitors seem more interested in going on the piss.

Yeah, but what are the 'sights'. I mean apart from your house.
Specifically ?
My house
The area round my house
The place I grew up
Spanish city dome
Lighthouse x3
Tynemouth beach
Whitley bay beach
Piers
Coast road
Newcastle city centre
St James park
Sol (possibly)
Penshaw monument
Birds eye view of the tyne tunnel
The river tyne
Bridges
Angel of the north.

Specifically ?
My house
The area round my house
The place I grew up
Spanish city dome
Lighthouse x3
Tynemouth beach
Whitley bay beach
Piers
Coast road
Newcastle city centre
St James park
Sol (possibly)
Penshaw monument
Birds eye view of the tyne tunnel
The river tyne
Bridges
Angel of the north.

A scene of unrivalled beauty that mind ;)

I don't accept that, we don't need to be "complimentary" we have some assets which have the potential to outshine them if utilized properly, including our seafront and some stunning areas of natural beauty.

Yes that’s my point to some degree, we do have a different asset base so we need to differentiate ourselves from them rather than compete for the same things. At this moment in time we don’t attract enough tourism for a development of that scale, as this development is coming forward on the back of the other tourism in the Newcastle and Gateshead that already exists, whereas putting this in Sunderland would be a huge gamble and unlikely to be viable.

My personal view is that Sunderland should position itself as a place of choice to live in the region due to the assets you mention, affordability and proximity to Durham and Newcastle. In turn this will helpfully overtime generate sustainable organic development rather than forcing the issue. The big thing for Sunderland is to try and attract people to come and live in the city centre, and preferably people with disposable income. That is of course not to stop trying to attract business to the area.

:lol:
I’d be surprised if the company involved was in a position to pay the council 10 % of that amount , never mind complete a development of such size.

Don’t hold your breath.

Have a read further down the article. They’re forecasting nearly 2000 visitors a day on average :lol:

I wonder what will happen midwinter when there are few tourists about and the locals have had their one ride ?
So you've got this thing with maybe 50-100 cages in it, and mid winter it'll be closed. Even in summer when its blowing a gale, and 3 couple roll up, will they set it away just for them ? I can see the artists impression has other building around it, so maybe there will be bars and a restaurant. Its on what is now a massive open area used as a car park. I can see it helping the Ouseburn pubs and the Cycle hub. Would'nt get me on it though.

Well as a proud north tynesider I'd quite like to jump on it and see the sights. Unfortunately I'm terrified of heights so it's never going to happen.
You and me both.
Going on summat like that would be great for photography , but alas there's not a cat in hells chance i'd go on anything like that.

Back