Why aren’t we eating beef as much?

A new report compiled by market research company ReportLinker found that household consumption of beef and veal in the United Kingdom have dropped by half—equalling nearly 4.7 ounces less per person per week—since 1975.

I thought we were eating more and more meat but apparently not.
Haven't read thread, gonna speculate before I do.

While the Sunday roast is probably as popular as ever, suspect people don't have it midweek.

By the way the roasting joints are BLOODY EXPENSIVE but I suspect they always were.

I reckon it's mince. We still eat roast joints, we still eat steak, but we don't eat mince in the quantities we used to (once a week when I were a lass).

Here's a suggestion. Maybe if supermarkets sold beef that is actually good beef, i.e. with an appropriate fat content, instead of the superlean crap that everyone thinks is the healthy option, people would enjoy eating it more and more would be sold!

The Aldi Xmas beef advert currently running tries to make a totally marbling-free joint look tasty. Fail!
You're right about this mind. Animal fat IS NOT BAD FOR YOU. One of the biggest cons of the last 30 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

pumped full of steroids.
Not uk beef

Here's a suggestion. Maybe if supermarkets sold beef that is actually good beef, i.e. with an appropriate fat content, instead of the superlean crap that everyone thinks is the healthy option, people would enjoy eating it more and more would be sold!

The Aldi Xmas beef advert currently running tries to make a totally marbling-free joint look tasty. Fail!
Spot on

A new report compiled by market research company ReportLinker found that household consumption of beef and veal in the United Kingdom have dropped by half—equalling nearly 4.7 ounces less per person per week—since 1975.

beef is too expensive , i have shifted to pork.

our local butcher tried a thing with Venison instead of Beef a while back. Eight legs of Venison for 50 notes. Didn`t bother with it meself, thought it was too dear
LOVE THE EYEBALLS and ASKED STIRKS but they had nee idea.

More options these days? People trying different things
Will make a comeback when the beef nugget is invented..

Last edited:

Eating more eyelids/bone/scrotum so not killing as many perhaps?

Wagu/Kobe beef is literally the best meat I have ever had. Had it done as a steak (medium) and you could cut it with a butter knife it was so tender. The taste was unreal, you could definitely taste the difference to other beef as it's raised with such loving care (fed on beer, corn and massaged every day).

Ordered some cuts online and made a curry out of it, and naturally it was the best curry I have ever had too.

Beef is amazing if it a good cut and cooked right.

Red meat stays in your system a long time,which is not good. During mad cow disease scare we stopped eating red meat. We have chicken and Turkey including minced turkey. We ate more fish. Red meat has,a higher fat content also.
We never went back to red meat

Back