Why are people from Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Because according to some we became polarised against the word "geordie" when it became synonymous with NUFC in the 1990s

happy to be labelled as a Mackem, when it is thought to be originally an insult?
Unless my understanding of where this comes from is completely wrong - and it possibly is, because I couldn't really give a fuck at all - I don't get how 'making ships' only for someone else to 'take them' in order to fit them out is offensive. Surely, to Geordies who say this, it is actually more of a slight towards themselves that they have never been known for possessing the requisite skills to 'make' ships in the first place.

I'm quick to offence on a lot of things to be quite honest, but I really don't understand how this is supposed to be insulting.

Last edited:
happy to be labelled as a Mackem, when it is thought to be originally an insult?

Because we shown the world the north east has more complexity than just jaaawdees. We've shown towns around the north east that its fine to have your own identity and there's more to yourselves rather than just being a satellite town to Newcastle. We've shown its alright to celebrate their own history without it being engulfed by the evil empire from NE1. We've nailed our colours to the mast and we are still proud North Easterners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back