Why are churches always shut these days?

Nail 6000 slaves up all along the Appian way then spend next 70 years devising a story about forgiveness to prevent any further uprising. Oh and the centre of forgiveness is Rome. Yeh,

Last edited:

Because they seen you coming - did you go to the church on a pale horse by any chance marra?

Nothing to be baffled about ... God stuff fair enough cos God is a great mystery whereas any mention of prophets is not a mystery its just utter man made controlling shite.

Cos most people have realised its a load of old bollocks and don't go anymore.
I’ve been attending church recently because the wife is catholic and the bairn is doing her holy communion soon, that hour I get to sit in St Leonard’s church listening to them talk, few songs, few prayers doesn’t half give you an hour away from all the shite in life and doesn’t half relax and refocus your mind! I’m not into the mumbo jumbo of it all, I don’t believe, but there’s something very relaxing about it.

C of E churches must be dying along with their congregations. I wonder if the Catholic churches are experiencing similar drops in attendance ?
I got the impression that everyone in my parents generation was religious. That might have just been because they were so almost all the people they knew was connected to the church, but certainly going to church seemed to be part of the regular routine for most families.

These days, out of friends, colleagues and neighbours, I think I only know two people who go to church.

There is another census coming up and I know last time around they said there was quite a drop in the number of people declaring a religion. Some of that might be a change in social pressure. I get the feeling that a few decades ago, even if you didn't believe or didn't go to church then putting down you were a christian was the proper thing to do. It is like getting married in places that are not churches. A few decades ago, the registry office was seen as something that cheap people did or if it were a bit of a sham marriage. Now you can get married in a zoo if you want.

"A serious house on serious earth it is, In whose blent air all our compulsions meet"

Back