Whose fault is it that so many supporters are falling out of love with the club?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see an awful lot of posts these days from supporters saying they no longer love the club and there is a tendency to put the blame at Ellis Short's door. However, I don't see Short as the cause of the malaise, I think he's more a symptom.

For those of us who are over 35 we can remember when clubs were part of the community, even at the start of the Premier League there was still a desire for teams to remain part of their areas heritage (Look at the success of Hall's Geordie Nation Campaign and Niall Quinn's love affair with us for proof of this.)

But as the Premier League became more popular worldwide, the local community's hold on football clubs lessened and this led to the lack of bonding between the bigger clubs and the local area. The biggest clubs could cope with this by being successful. Success will always bring support, but traditional clubs like Sunderland and Villa who, to be blunt, sold out in the pursuit of success, lost their soul.

Burnley are still a local club and they are succeeding because as they are part of their community even when things don't go well, there is not the bitterness towards the club that I see on here.

I know some posters will mock me for being a jumpers for goalposts nostalgia lover, but in many respects, I miss the old days.

Internet message boards are the problem

I often wonder if we’d thrown a bit of cash at Sam might he have been willing to stay. I’ve never felt so genuinely excited about the coming season in those few weeks before the Euro’s. Then England get beat off Iceland and decide that the manager who finished 4th bottom of the league was the best to take over....then he only lasts one game ffs. Another great example of the SAFC curse...

Exactly this, honestly thought we had found the formula...The fact he only lasted the one game with England just poured salt into the wounds tbh.

as much as he is a very likeable guy, I have to agree re the cost

Nowt against the lad and clearly loved playing for the club; not his fault that the fee was so insane. Any owner with any knowledge of English football would have been looking at some of the players we were buying and for the fees we were paying and would be asking some serious questions.

Nowt against the lad and clearly loved playing for the club; not his fault that the fee was so insane. Any owner with any knowledge of English football would have been looking at some of the players we were buying and for the fees we were paying and would be asking some serious questions.
we have paid some silly money for players and largely with no return

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sunderland_A.F.C._records_and_statistics

if you can trust that page. I found the comment
The last time they won at home was when dinosaurs roamed the land. But goes to show you cant 100% be sure of its content

£1.25 mil spent in the transfer window was the ultimate insult. To think that they spend £1.25m per week in players/staff salaries, and trips to New York. turns my piss to sulphuric acid and my poo to lava.

I honestly don't really think many ( if any) are falling out of love with the club .... but....

... they are with the present players, managers/coaches, senior management & owner.

The key word there is "present" - remember they are all temporary, & will be gone well before our feelings for the club.

The club is ours, they can hurt us but can't take it away nor us from Sunderland

The club will be gone in a few seasons if something drastic doesn't change.

I used to travel all over the country with them, even abroad for pre-season but now I genuinely have no passion to go and feel like I am being pissed on for 90 minutes by rich unengaged talentless twats.

Reactions: BNM
I see an awful lot of posts these days from supporters saying they no longer love the club and there is a tendency to put the blame at Ellis Short's door. However, I don't see Short as the cause of the malaise, I think he's more a symptom.

For those of us who are over 35 we can remember when clubs were part of the community, even at the start of the Premier League there was still a desire for teams to remain part of their areas heritage (Look at the success of Hall's Geordie Nation Campaign and Niall Quinn's love affair with us for proof of this.)

But as the Premier League became more popular worldwide, the local community's hold on football clubs lessened and this led to the lack of bonding between the bigger clubs and the local area. The biggest clubs could cope with this by being successful. Success will always bring support, but traditional clubs like Sunderland and Villa who, to be blunt, sold out in the pursuit of success, lost their soul.

Burnley are still a local club and they are succeeding because as they are part of their community even when things don't go well, there is not the bitterness towards the club that I see on here.

I know some posters will mock me for being a jumpers for goalposts nostalgia lover, but in many respects, I miss the old days.

I'm bored with the whole "football industry" tbh.
Not the game I grew up with.

I'm bored with the whole "football industry" tbh.
Not the game I grew up with.
I'll never get bored with football and I'd never give up on Sunderland even when the football is dire. I live in hope that some rich supporter with money to burn eventually takes over, (fat chance). No other sport gives you the highs and lows of football. No other sport can compete for me, no other sport comes close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back