Whoop Straps

Jonnyb2

Goalkeeper
I see that there are a few triathletes on here. An iron man friend gave me his old Whoop 3.0
Strap. Although I’m by no means an elite athlete (50 yo, ex marathon runner, now stick to 5k’s and weights) it’s fascinating. Seeing not just the amount but quality of sleep I get and also how doing the school run with four bairns is a bigger heart strain than a 5k have been two highlights 😂

Any other whoop strap users here with experiences or tips about optimising the device?

I see that there are a few triathletes on here. An iron man friend gave me his old Whoop 3.0
Strap. Although I’m by no means an elite athlete (50 yo, ex marathon runner, now stick to 5k’s and weights) it’s fascinating. Seeing not just the amount but quality of sleep I get and also how doing the school run with four bairns is a bigger heart strain than a 5k have been two highlights 😂

Any other whoop strap users here with experiences or tips about optimising the device?
I've just ordered the 4.0 but there is a 6 week wait which isn't ideal. I'm by no means an athlete! But I listened to a podcast with the founder and it sounded really interesting.

I'm most interested in the sleep analysis than anything else.

The guy was saying something like they all wear them within the business and if their score is below a certain amount they tell them not to come in. They've also been able to tell if people have covid without them having particular symptoms.

They worth the money do you think?

Yes Mate. If you’re a data geek and want to get the most out of life and your exercise routine, I’d say so. The 4.0 has skin temp measurement and also blood oxygen- some piece of kit! Also waiting for mine.

What surprised me was how less sleep of a better quality can trump longer sleeps. Under 6 hours gave me my best recovery of 98% because my HRV went up by 30% due to the deep and booze free sleep.

I also lose an hour a night in wake ups although for the life of me, I never remember them!

There are many rabbit holes!

A lot of people call it out for encouraging hypochondria - I think the opposite is true. It usually tells me I’m fine and to haddaway in the freezing rain when I think I’m tired or sickening for something!

I can also vouch for it’s use in monitoring respiratory viruses inc. COVID.

All in all, I’m hooked! Although it’s gamification is so slick that you will probably suffer the same fate and like me, probably end up getting buried wearing the whoop 45.0 😀

Yes Mate. If you’re a data geek and want to get the most out of life and your exercise routine, I’d say so. The 4.0 has skin temp measurement and also blood oxygen- some piece of kit! Also waiting for mine.

What surprised me was how less sleep of a better quality can trump longer sleeps. Under 6 hours gave me my best recovery of 98% because my HRV went up by 30% due to the deep and booze free sleep.

I also lose an hour a night in wake ups although for the life of me, I never remember them!

There are many rabbit holes!

A lot of people call it out for encouraging hypochondria - I think the opposite is true. It usually tells me I’m fine and to haddaway in the freezing rain when I think I’m tired or sickening for something!

I can also vouch for it’s use in monitoring respiratory viruses inc. COVID.

All in all, I’m hooked! Although it’s gamification is so slick that you will probably suffer the same fate and like me, probably end up getting buried wearing the whoop 45.0 😀
Just received my 4.0. Reassured to know my Blood oxygen is ‘in range’…….. absolutely no idea what that means though 😂

Just received my 4.0. Reassured to know my Blood oxygen is ‘in range’…….. absolutely no idea what that means though 😂
Will be curious to know Mate-

1) whether it’s tricky porting the data over from the 3.

2) if you actually lose any functionality from the 3.0 (sure I read that there was something canny missing)

3) whether the low charge / hassle charging issues I’ve seen on reddit are true!

Your thoughts when u have a mo would be great- many thanks!

Will be curious to know Mate-

1) whether it’s tricky porting the data over from the 3.

2) if you actually lose any functionality from the 3.0 (sure I read that there was something canny missing)

3) whether the low charge / hassle charging issues I’ve seen on reddit are true!

Your thoughts when u have a mo would be great- many thanks!
The data ported no bother but I noticed that it didn’t pick up a workout earlier in the week which was odd. The battery is running down at 10% now from the first full charge last Wednesday which is pretty strong. To my mind there is very little difference to the 3.0 though.

The data ported no bother but I noticed that it didn’t pick up a workout earlier in the week which was odd. The battery is running down at 10% now from the first full charge last Wednesday which is pretty strong. To my mind there is very little difference to the 3.0 though.
Cheers Marra! Mime arrived on sat. Still in the box. Hoping to get it up and running tomorrow. Encouraging re battery life. Do let us know if you discover any nuggets of gold. I’ll do likewise. When I had a missed sleep the analytics engineers re-instated it within 72 hours of me texting customer services which wasn’t bad. Mebs worth a try with your lost workout?

You all seem big advocates of it, so I can guess the responses, but is it worth getting rid of a Fitbit to replace it with something like this? I only really use the Fitbit to track calorie burn. The fact this whoop thing doesn’t tell the time isn’t great like

You all seem big advocates of it, so I can guess the responses, but is it worth getting rid of a Fitbit to replace it with something like this? I only really use the Fitbit to track calorie burn. The fact this whoop thing doesn’t tell the time isn’t great like
Why do you want a whoop?

Hard for me to answer as i’ve never had a FB.

Asked my PT whose also an elite athlete.

Will share his thoughts after the school run. 😊

My PT's thoughts - he played county cricket and was on the fringes of the England squash team.

"I use a fitbit and it's great. 160 quid one off and no subs. Whoop strap is probably 25% more accurate so I can see why serious athletes would trade up. If your recovery data is 25% off and you over / under train, that could be the difference in medal colour."

So for me as a 50 year old who has never had a device and doesn't know fitbit, I don't know what I would have been missing and Whoop has got me hook line and sinker. Nowt to compare it to. Question is would I trade up if I had been a fitbit user? And should anyone else? Depends on financial resources and what you're getting in terms of benefits I guess. For me as a busy business owner with 4 kids who wants to keep in shape and live as long and as healthy life as I can, I can make a case for the £360 a year being an investment.

At my station in life, I think the extra accuracy is worth the dough. My PT at his, doesn't.

Horses for courses I guess?

Why don't you take the month free subby and try out the devices in competition?

My PT's thoughts - he played county cricket and was on the fringes of the England squash team.

"I use a fitbit and it's great. 160 quid one off and no subs. Whoop strap is probably 25% more accurate so I can see why serious athletes would trade up. If your recovery data is 25% off and you over / under train, that could be the difference in medal colour."

So for me as a 50 year old who has never had a device and doesn't know fitbit, I don't know what I would have been missing and Whoop has got me hook line and sinker. Nowt to compare it to. Question is would I trade up if I had been a fitbit user? And should anyone else? Depends on financial resources and what you're getting in terms of benefits I guess. For me as a busy business owner with 4 kids who wants to keep in shape and live as long and as healthy life as I can, I can make a case for the £360 a year being an investment.

At my station in life, I think the extra accuracy is worth the dough. My PT at his, doesn't.

i personally use a garmin and it monitors my heart rate. I know if i've had a good sleep or bad sleep.
I'm not an elite athlete but I'm near the front end of triathlon races, I don't think a whoop device will make any difference.

Thank you for taking the time to enquire, and write out that response. Much appreciated.

Back