Who was the safc left back, from pennywell

Great to hear, my boy loves it currently u14 been in since he was 5 so luckily got to play at station road before the wall came in. We have a new 3g pitch with a stand in place at Kirkley Park with some great grass pitches. Sid and Pete are down every Sunday and get to training through the week to watch. He was the inspiration on why I launched the girls and Ladies teams as he was never able to sustain it. Our Ladies team are only 1 league below NUFC so fingers crossed we join them next year.

That smell though from the boys club was unique eh, Carrick, Bruce etc have all spoke about it at our dinners in recent years

Yeah, smell wasn’t so great after we had done the circuit training upstairs for the first time after the summer break...... a few puked at different times! :)

I remember Neil MacDonald training with us during pre-season quite often. Albeit Gascogne played for Redheugh, he was always around the team.....

Bruce was at Norwich at the time and used to come to our presentation nights at Lindisfarne Club.

I also keep in touch with John Cornforth who played against us a lot for Marden, obviously he went on to play for the lads. Strangely enough, he was recently driving trucks on a military base in Kuwait.

I should have said good luck with your coaching @carlos and for your lad....I hope that he is a red and white! Only Liddell and I were red and whites in that squad in the 80’s. Even then Lid never used to say anything even though he was signed for Sunderland.

Scarred me for life! ;)

You were a talent RM, to gat a regular game for such an esteemed nationally renowned boys club means you must have had it. Reading the latter posts too, you played with some exceptional individuals. Made up with the red & white allegiance thing too👍

You were a talent RM, to gat a regular game for such an esteemed nationally renowned boys club means you must have had it. Reading the latter posts too, you played with some exceptional individuals. Made up with the red & white allegiance thing too👍
We would have given them a game no doubt;)

The Alan Hope game at Wembley was against Northern Ireland. England won 4-1. We had a couple of busses on from Pennywell School for the weekend in London.
It was my first visit to Wembley and I distinctly remember thinking "what a f***ing shithole"
:lol::lol:

I’m 52 years old and played for Wallsend Boys as a teenager for quite a few years. We rarely got beaten and won most competitions that we entered. We only ever got battered once in all the years that i played for them and that was against Pennywell at Pennywell. There was a big, aggressive crowd for a schoolboy age game.

We weren’t intimidated but we were arrogant and thought that we would spank them.....we got absolutely battered, I can’t remember if it was 5-0 or 5-1.

The week after the game was not too pleasant as Peter Kirkley absolutely ripped into us when we met up in Wallsend for the next game. It felt like the walls were peeling in flames.....

He wasn’t so pissed about getting beaten, it was more to go with how, why and the attitude of the players (many who were on the books at Newcastle, Sunderland, Man U, Everton etc etc.) after the game.

Only time that I ever played in Sunderland but it sticks in my mind that Pennywell was the only place that gave us a football lesson.

I’m guessing that it was around 1984 if my memory serves me correctly.

Obviously Anth Smith would be too young for that game, but I recall him starting at Sunderland and he was a very good full back.
This is amazing. It’s sad knowing the sports education of young people in Pennywell is lacking now though, be surprised if we see a professional player coming from Pennywell in the next 30 year. (The school I mean)
I’ll have known his face. Sadly the jov was knocked down a few years back now. I was driving up general havelock road yesterday past twiggys parents house.

We spent plenty of time playing pool and darts in there back in the 80s arguing about everything and if I recall twiggy supported nufc, the traitor but I think that was just taking the piss. John Rocks was another one who supported them back in the day

He may call me jimmy if you see him.
Mr Rocks is a season ticket holder at Sid James, even now.
You know ray kitchen from lower ford? Or kitty his older brother. Similar age range of the lads on this thread
I know Kitty mate

Last edited:
Yeah, smell wasn’t so great after we had done the circuit training upstairs for the first time after the summer break...... a few puked at different times! :)

I remember Neil MacDonald training with us during pre-season quite often. Albeit Gascogne played for Redheugh, he was always around the team.....

Bruce was at Norwich at the time and used to come to our presentation nights at Lindisfarne Club.

I also keep in touch with John Cornforth who played against us a lot for Marden, obviously he went on to play for the lads. Strangely enough, he was recently driving trucks on a military base in Kuwait.

I should have said good luck with your coaching @carlos and for your lad....I hope that he is a red and white! Only Liddell and I were red and whites in that squad in the 80’s. Even then Lid never used to say anything even though he was signed for Sunderland.
Yeah he is red n white and makes sure everyone knows this ha. Had some fun over the years not so much in the last couple. I know John Cornforth through his brother Neil, yeah a top lad is John.

Gazza popped back a few times over the years sometimes to see the grandson others just to watch the football. Always good fun.

I was looking for something and this thread popped up somehow, don't know how I missed it at the time but I must know a few people on this thread... I played for Pennywell under 18's with Danny and Alan hope running it. Still see Danny knocking about and he is still fit as a fiddle...one shout that always sticks in my mind from Danny..."that's good football"

How old would he be now?

I don’t think he’s dead mate. Do you mean “How old IS he now?”

(I recall the player, -unusually for me as I have an appalling errr, thing you remember with - who I thought would go on to great things, and the tackle - right in front of me in the Clockstand. It was appalling, it was cynical and it was despicable)

Last edited by a moderator:
There was also a goalkeeper from Pennywell aswell. Highly rated at the time? Alan?
I think the goalkeeper from pennywell could be Alan Hope. He played for England School boys if I remember and somewhere in a game he done his shoulder in and his career was over before it had started really.
There was, think he did his shoulder in. Played against him, his name has left me now
Alan hope

Watched a documentary on Jordan Henderson which said that Anth Smith was the first person to recommend Henderson to Sunderland. Assumed it was the same lad as the player

Back