Who was the safc left back, from pennywell

Remember Wolfy having a few games for Darlo in the 4th Division
Wolfy working for Man Utd now and living down there.
Those lads were all my year. Had many times playing v them and knowing a couple of them. The lad ferry in the front row and his brother were friends back in the days, of twenty a side games up Hylton Road School pitches up ford estate

I could never get close enough to kick Gary Porter though I tried many a time. Phillip James I turned inside out one game over redhouse comp.

Fairweather and Corner went to Thomas Aquinas iirc and were decent players but not close to porters class.

The keeper in the lighter coloured top, psyched me out on a pelanty at thornhill. I went to blaze it, and it was recreated by Chris waddle in the 90 semi final

I had always placed my pelantys that was the only one I ever missed. As you can tell I’m only just getting over it.

Paul revely was another players I tried my best to catch and smithson nearly broke my leg a few years later in local football up hill view

Ah happy days

That was the younger one. The lad in the pic was the older brother who had a touch of class with his play

I’m sure they played in a Scots second division team back in the day
Reveley went to Everton,don't know how long he lasted there though.

Last edited:

Wolfy working for Man Utd now and living down there.

Reveley went to Everton,don't know how long he lasted there though.
You know ray kitchen from lower ford? Or kitty his older brother. Similar age range of the lads on this thread

Didn’t even get a booking did he? Absolutely disgusting. Remember Dilkes went onto ref in the premise league and was highly rated but I always remembered him for what he’d done that day.

Also sent Martin Smith off in the league cup vs Liverpool for sweet FA as well.
Used to work with Roger Dilkes, first time I met him I had a go at him for Smith's red card, he just said "it was a terrible tackle though". From memory it was, jumped in 2 footed didn't he?

I had no idea he was the ref for the Smith game, seem to remember the tackle was at the other end from me so couldn't really tell if it was a bad tackle or an unfortunate injury. And I was quite young at the time

Used to work with Roger Dilkes, first time I met him I had a go at him for Smith's red card, he just said "it was a terrible tackle though". From memory it was, jumped in 2 footed didn't he?

I had no idea he was the ref for the Smith game, seem to remember the tackle was at the other end from me so couldn't really tell if it was a bad tackle or an unfortunate injury. And I was quite young at the time
Clock stand paddocks, fulwell wing area.

Probably know you fella. All good lads in my year ;)
I went to Broadway, my brother in law, Ollie, was in your year at Pennywell. As we're all my ex team mates obviously :)
I’m 52 years old and played for Wallsend Boys as a teenager for quite a few years. We rarely got beaten and won most competitions that we entered. We only ever got battered once in all the years that i played for them and that was against Pennywell at Pennywell. There was a big, aggressive crowd for a schoolboy age game.

We weren’t intimidated but we were arrogant and thought that we would spank them.....we got absolutely battered, I can’t remember if it was 5-0 or 5-1.

The week after the game was not too pleasant as Peter Kirkley absolutely ripped into us when we met up in Wallsend for the next game. It felt like the walls were peeling in flames.....

He wasn’t so pissed about getting beaten, it was more to go with how, why and the attitude of the players (many who were on the books at Newcastle, Sunderland, Man U, Everton etc etc.) after the game.

Only time that I ever played in Sunderland but it sticks in my mind that Pennywell was the only place that gave us a football lesson.

I’m guessing that it was around 1984 if my memory serves me correctly.

Obviously Anth Smith would be too young for that game, but I recall him starting at Sunderland and he was a very good full back.
His brother may well have been playing. I played for the year above my age, for Broadway and they battered us in 84 too. 10-1.

Last edited:
Great photo that..never seen Wolfy for years..he used to get in Fitness 2000 all the time..Reveley went to Red House..county sprinting champion IIRC.
Said it above, I could never get near the Sod but I did turn Phillip James inside out

I can remember Reveley from sports days at Red House Comp..IIRC his speciality was the 200m..you'd think the other runners were going backwards..he looked about 19 year old when he was 13 or 14..legs like tree trunks.
I do still feel the pain of attempting to keep up

That pic and the lads on it, were the opposition during my fifth year at thornhill. Played against them all but imo Gary Porter was a class above any of them.

I’m 52 years old and played for Wallsend Boys as a teenager for quite a few years. We rarely got beaten and won most competitions that we entered. We only ever got battered once in all the years that i played for them and that was against Pennywell at Pennywell. There was a big, aggressive crowd for a schoolboy age game.

We weren’t intimidated but we were arrogant and thought that we would spank them.....we got absolutely battered, I can’t remember if it was 5-0 or 5-1.

The week after the game was not too pleasant as Peter Kirkley absolutely ripped into us when we met up in Wallsend for the next game. It felt like the walls were peeling in flames.....

He wasn’t so pissed about getting beaten, it was more to go with how, why and the attitude of the players (many who were on the books at Newcastle, Sunderland, Man U, Everton etc etc.) after the game.

Only time that I ever played in Sunderland but it sticks in my mind that Pennywell was the only place that gave us a football lesson.

I’m guessing that it was around 1984 if my memory serves me correctly.

Obviously Anth Smith would be too young for that game, but I recall him starting at Sunderland and he was a very good full back.

I will have to speak to PK about this when I see him today at the Boys Club I coach at the place as I have for a few year now as well as doing the social media etc. Its funny hearing how Pete used to lose the plot with players as speaking to him now he is just such a lovely placid man, however speaking to people who played for him or coached at the time say he was ruthless and strived for the best.

I will have to speak to PK about this when I see him today at the Boys Club I coach at the place as I have for a few year now as well as doing the social media etc. Its funny hearing how Pete used to lose the plot with players as speaking to him now he is just such a lovely placid man, however speaking to people who played for him or coached at the time say he was ruthless and strived for the best.

Peter wasn’t our coach then but he ran the Boys Club. Sid was our coach and he acted on Sid’s report back to him after the defeat. He was really annoyed about our behaviour after the game, he was generally soft spoken, strict but fair, but not that day, he tore into us. It was in the Wallsend Sports Centre changing rooms. He actually signed me up for the Boys Club. Great man and did amazing things for football in the North East.

The team included Ian Bogie, Vince Chapman, Jimmy Page, Jeff Wrightson, Paul Stephenson, Mark Liddell......

Peter wasn’t our coach then but he ran the Boys Club. Sid was our coach and he acted on Sid’s report back to him after the defeat. He was really annoyed about our behaviour. he was always soft spoken, strict but fair. He actually signed me up for the Boys Club.

The team included Ian Bogie, Jeff Wrightson, Paul Stephenson, Mark Liddell......

Now Sid I can imagine going wild haha. Lovely blokes who are deeply passionate about the place quite rightly President and vice president and having the ground named after Pete is a huge accolade to what he has done for so many.

Some team that would have been as well. Do you ever get up to the Boyza

Now Sid I can imagine going wild haha. Lovely blokes who are deeply passionate about the place quite rightly President and vice president and having the ground named after Pete is a huge accolade to what he has done for so many.

Some team that would have been as well. Do you ever get up to the Boyza

Not been in years. I used to play five a side there on a Friday tea time as an adult and often stayed back to watch the training and kids. Lots of really fond memories. I’m still in touch with a bunch of the lads.

Sid was a cracking bloke, they all were to be honest. I played for 5 or 6 years and it was a pleasure, you trained hard and played hard. We had immense pride in our club and team, but we had let ourselves down on that day.

As you say, that was a cracking team we won almost everything that we entered. Some really good times.......

The emphasis was always on improving, playing with your wrong foot was essential.

Not been in years. I used to play five a side there on a Friday tea time as an adult and often stayed back to watch the training and kids. Lots of really fond memories. I’m still in touch with a bunch of the lads.

Sid was a cracking bloke, they all were to be honest. I played for 5 or 6 years and it was a pleasure, you trained hard and played hard. We had immense pride in our club and team, but we had let ourselves down on that day.

As you say, that was a cracking team we won almost everything that we entered. Some really good times.......

The emphasis was always on improving, playing with your wrong foot was essential.
Great to hear, my boy loves it currently u14 been in since he was 5 so luckily got to play at station road before the wall came in. We have a new 3g pitch with a stand in place at Kirkley Park with some great grass pitches. Sid and Pete are down every Sunday and get to training through the week to watch. He was the inspiration on why I launched the girls and Ladies teams as he was never able to sustain it. Our Ladies team are only 1 league below NUFC so fingers crossed we join them next year.

That smell though from the boys club was unique eh, Carrick, Bruce etc have all spoke about it at our dinners in recent years

Back