Who was the safc left back, from pennywell

I’m 52 years old and played for Wallsend Boys as a teenager for quite a few years. We rarely got beaten and won most competitions that we entered. We only ever got battered once in all the years that i played for them and that was against Pennywell at Pennywell. There was a big, aggressive crowd for a schoolboy age game.

We weren’t intimidated but we were arrogant and thought that we would spank them.....we got absolutely battered, I can’t remember if it was 5-0 or 5-1.

The week after the game was not too pleasant as Peter Kirkley absolutely ripped into us when we met up in Wallsend for the next game. It felt like the walls were peeling in flames.....

He wasn’t so pissed about getting beaten, it was more to go with how, why and the attitude of the players (many who were on the books at Newcastle, Sunderland, Man U, Everton etc etc.) after the game.

Only time that I ever played in Sunderland but it sticks in my mind that Pennywell was the only place that gave us a football lesson.

I’m guessing that it was around 1984 if my memory serves me correctly.

Obviously Anth Smith would be too young for that game, but I recall him starting at Sunderland and he was a very good full back.

I know both of them. Also a lads called Paul Lawson and Alfie Turner were cracking footballers.

Alan Hope was a bit of a short arse for a keeper. Brilliant shot stopper though.
I played with both back in the 80s and to see twiggy now chairman of referees always makes me howl. He did nowt but slag them off for years

I do hope crossa is doing well and twiggy, not seen them for years, in fact I think they think I’m dead. But I’m not

I played with both back in the 80s and to see twiggy now chairman of referees always makes me howl. He did nowt but slag them off for years

I do hope crossa is doing well and twiggy, not seen them for years, in fact I think they think I’m dead. But I’m not

Never seen either for over 30 years mesel. Twiggy's younger brother is a regular in Hylton Road pubs apparently.

Never seen either for over 30 years mesel. Twiggy's younger brother is a regular in Hylton Road pubs apparently.
Diddy iirc. Last time I heard of twiggy he was in pallion. As for crossa, his wife passed away so young and I havent seen him since the 80s

I feel we may have crossed paths along the line somewhere. I played for thornhill, millfield youths and deb quality meats back in the day

Around 1982 to 94.
Against Bristol City. I’ve still not forgiven Roger Dilkes. The lad that done him shouldn’t have still been on the pitch.
Iirc he was a short arse ref with a beard
Saw Alan Hope play at Roker in the English Schools final circa 1981. Sunderland schoolboys lost to High Wycombe boys on aggregate.
I was a steward that game. Mate of mine made the squad. Gary Murphy

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m 52 years old and played for Wallsend Boys as a teenager for quite a few years. We rarely got beaten and won most competitions that we entered. We only ever got battered once in all the years that i played for them and that was against Pennywell at Pennywell. There was a big, aggressive crowd for a schoolboy age game.

We weren’t intimidated but we were arrogant and thought that we would spank them.....we got absolutely battered, I can’t remember if it was 5-0 or 5-1.

The week after the game was not too pleasant as Peter Kirkley absolutely ripped into us when we met up in Wallsend for the next game. It felt like the walls were peeling in flames.....

He wasn’t so pissed about getting beaten, it was more to go with how, why and the attitude of the players (many who were on the books at Newcastle, Sunderland, Man U, Everton etc etc.) after the game.

Only time that I ever played in Sunderland but it sticks in my mind that Pennywell was the only place that gave us a football lesson.

I’m guessing that it was around 1984 if my memory serves me correctly.

Obviously Anth Smith would be too young for that game, but I recall him starting at Sunderland and he was a very good full back.

I think it may have been 85 RM, I may have been the fair haired cultured CD who scored two headers from corners that day.

Storesy is a referee(over 40s) if it’s the same bloke. I’m mates with his cousin, Steve.
It is. Used to have ginger hair but now like Kojak. Was a scourge of referees in his playing days, so to see him reffing and being part of their committees makes me laugh.

Hope the lad is doing well and if you see him, say I was asking after him, and tell him I’m still alive.

We fell out but thats a long time gone and we always had a laugh whenever we met since. Also hope his parents are well as I’ve lost both of mine. His dad tommy was a good laugh back in the old jovial fryer days and pallion club

It is. Used to have ginger hair but now like Kojak. Was a scourge of referees in his playing days, so to see him reffing and being part of their committees makes me laugh.

Hope the lad is doing well and if you see him, say I was asking after him, and tell him I’m still alive.

We fell out but thats a long time gone and we always had a laugh whenever we met since. Also hope his parents are well as I’ve lost both of mine. His dad tommy was a good laugh back in the old jovial fryer days and pallion club
If I get the chance I will marra.
As an aside my uncle drank in the Jovial Friar years ago, Herbie Melvin. He died round about 2005 though.

If I get the chance I will marra.
As an aside my uncle drank in the Jovial Friar years ago, Herbie Melvin. He died round about 2005 though.
I’ll have known his face. Sadly the jov was knocked down a few years back now. I was driving up general havelock road yesterday past twiggys parents house.

We spent plenty of time playing pool and darts in there back in the 80s arguing about everything and if I recall twiggy supported nufc, the traitor but I think that was just taking the piss. John Rocks was another one who supported them back in the day

He may call me jimmy if you see him.

Back