Who was ITV commentator?

It's very weird.

If you read back the live text coverage from both the Guardian and the Telegraph, there is no mention at all of any racist abuse, at least not until Sterling's celebration, and not did the TV commentators mention it until that point, and then it was to specifically say they had not heard anything that sounded like racist abuse.

On the TV is just sounded like general booing of the England team, with nothing different for black players. It probably would be difficult to pick out from just normal booing of the team though.

It all seemed to kick off after the Sterling celebration and Rose quickly afterwards launching one of their players into the air.

No excuse if it did descend into racist abuse after that, but was it not just a case of those two players getting extra stick after those two incidents?
The commentator on 5live called it straight away and reported it to the FA at half time

Sadly, the Balkans has a terrible reputation for racism. The former Yugoslav republics seem to be the worst, so I want the slightest bit surprised that there was racist behaviour.

They should be immediately kicked out of the competition. It’s time to show real intent to deal with the situation.
They’ll get away with a fine, of course.

agreed, I'm glad they've been charged, I still didn't notice the level of booing ( or any other noise) rise when the black players got the ball, maybe I just wasn't listening.

I was at the back of the upper tier in the away end so it would have been hard to distinguish general booing/abuse from monkey noises. However even during the match (and even given that I was more concentrating on chanting and shouting for England) I was very conscious of how the booing was massively concentrated at our black players.

Enfglsnd supportess who made it into the home end (lots did despite the restrictions) reported monkey chants being made from around them.

Back