Who was a regular match attender in the third division

When we played Blackpool that season my mates and I ( Stanley ) went on a bus for the weekend with a load of radgies from Seaham. There was one gent on that trip from Seaham, who had previously lovingly tried to strangle his mother. He f***ing looked scary, my mate was pissed and had locked me out the room, took a while to rouse him. I was f***ing bricking it in case the Seaham strangler was lurking. Does that ring any bells with anyone ?

At Blackpool we couldn't get in any pubs bumped into some lads who were in a Hotel with a bar - so back there we went - Lads sitting next to us were playing connect 4 - well one lad was the other was so pissed he'd fallen asleep, not only that but someone had shoved a dead pigeon inside his trousers so the head was flopping about. Years later Tom Lynn put the same story into one of the fanzines.

Went to everg game apart from Bristol away with sherburn and gilesgate lads great menories .If I could give advice to younger fans enjoy the experience home and away my mates loved it when we get together we remember the laughs and scrapes happy days.Support the team not the division.

Went to Wigan on mini bus from the Lord Gort - wilky was running it. Got into a pub down there and there was a wedding do on - two of the lads off the bus were trying their luck with the bride. The match has gone down in Sunderland Folk-law.

Can anyone jog my memory and tell me if I’m correct that Hunta died in a car crash on his way down to Mansfield for the midweek game or have I got that totally wrong?

One of the players celebrated one of our goals that night at Mansfield with H. He was clearly visible on Look North the following night. Remember joking with him about his 'TV appearance' next time I saw him.

Last time I saw him was on the pitch after the Northampton game at the end of the season. He saw me (one of the few left in the end of the CS paddock) and beckoned me to join him on the pitch. He always was a bad influence...

RIP.

Went to everg game apart from Bristol away with sherburn and gilesgate lads great menories .If I could give advice to younger fans enjoy the experience home and away my mates loved it when we get together we remember the laughs and scrapes happy days.Support the team not the division.

If you know Egg from Sherburn he went all the way to Mansfield in the boot of the car. It was a hatch but it had a tool kit in the back and every time Bondy went round a corner you hear ow yer Bastard,

One of the players celebrated one of our goals that night at Mansfield with H. He was clearly visible on Look North the following night. Remember joking with him about his 'TV appearance' next time I saw him.

Last time I saw him was on the pitch after the Northampton game at the end of the season. He saw me (one of the few left in the end of the CS paddock) and beckoned me to join him on the pitch. He always was a bad influence...

RIP.
Great lad, going away with that lot was a right laugh, the stop off at the services was always entertaining.

I used to go to school with the lass he was seeing at the time he was killed.

Did 13 away games in the old third division. Was a fantastic memory for a young lad tasting success albeit in the lower leagues.

We will have nothing to fear next season if the swamp is drained and Coleman is supported.

Winning, no matter what division you are in is priceless. We have been so used to failure in the last 8 seasons it’s become a habit losing and playing badly.

We will be a massive draw for players in the lower leagues to come to us. However, if we still have Short in charge I fear us falling further.

I personally can’t wait for the 1st division. Over 35 years following the lads and I didn’t even think of hoying the towel in, why would I. Sunderland are my club and it’s what I do on a Saturday afternoon.

Did 13 away games in the old third division. Was a fantastic memory for a young lad tasting success albeit in the lower leagues.

We will have nothing to fear next season if the swamp is drained and Coleman is supported.

Winning, no matter what division you are in is priceless. We have been so used to failure in the last 8 seasons it’s become a habit losing and playing badly.

We will be a massive draw for players in the lower leagues to come to us. However, if we still have Short in charge I fear us falling further.

I personally can’t wait for the 1st division. Over 35 years following the lads and I didn’t even think of hoying the towel in, why would I. Sunderland are my club and it’s what I do on a Saturday afternoon.
Too right, it's much more than just the football to me.

Did 13 away games in the old third division. Was a fantastic memory for a young lad tasting success albeit in the lower leagues. We will have nothing to fear next season if the swamp is drained and Coleman is supported. Winning, no matter what division you are in is priceless. We have been so used to failure in the last 8 seasons it’s become a habit losing and playing badly. We will be a massive draw for players in the lower leagues to come to us. However, if we still have Short in charge I fear us falling further. I personally can’t wait for the 1st division. Over 35 years following the lads and I didn’t even think of hoying the towel in, why would I. Sunderland are my club and it’s what I do on a Saturday afternoon.

Two of my all-time favourite seasons following SAFC were the Third Division season in 87-88 and the First Division relegation season in 90-91. Went to loads of away games in both seasons and enjoyed pretty much all of them - almost regardless of the result.

To a lot of today's supporters, that probably seems bizarre but being a Sunderland supporter runs deeper than what division we play in, where we are in the league etc. Its a fundamental part of your life, your memories, its ingrained in your very being.

Players, managers, chairmen, owners come and go. What makes/made SAFC special was the supporters - nothing else.

It was 30 years ago and I was 11. I went to most games from div 3 through to div 1. so excuse the mix up!

Sorry mate, I was being pedantic but meant it in a light hearted way.

I went to most games too - home games anyway. I was 10. Some great days. Particularly remember the 7-0 against Southend - what a night that was.

Back