Who uses Capture One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Icarebecauseyoudo

What stuff should you do in C1, and not in Photoshop?

I note the RAW converter in photoshop seems to make the images really dark. No idea why

Common consensus seems to be that C1 is much better for working on the RAW files before conversion to tiff. That about right?

What stuff should you do in C1, and not in Photoshop?

I note the RAW converter in photoshop seems to make the images really dark. No idea why

Common consensus seems to be that C1 is much better for working on the RAW files before conversion to tiff. That about right?

Its not a replacement for complex adjustments in photoshop, but for fast adjustments i think its better and you can also open a file within capture and edit it in photoshop.

Capture One uses layers, so i rarely have a need to go into photoshop at all unless i want to do make a poster out of an image etc. (which i'm no use at any way lol)

Capture one is class for working with RAW files like, better than photoshops camera raw imo, but its file organizing/archiving is shocking and its not that intuitive so can take a while to get to grips but the results are 2nd to none.

I prefer and use aperture for an all round RAW editing, archiver and social integration like. But I re-edit my best shots in capture one from time to time and the results are better.

if you purely want a RAW converter (it has hellish tethering capabilities as well) then its colour reproduction and lens corrections are spot on.

finally I think its high end industry standard, phase one's medium format camera and pro photo rig compatibility etc.

hope than rant helps :p

I would try the 30 day trial if you have not already done it. I have Capture One Pro 5 on my old PC and its the best RAW converter I have used. It took a bit of getting used to but once I got my head round it I never used anything else. I am stuck with DPP for now though as my version must not be compatible with 64bit as it wouldn't install on my new PC.

I got an email off Phase One today offering 50% off Capture One software until the 26th Feb. I would be tempted to get Pro 6, but I am not using my camera enough to justify it at the minute.

Just read the system requirements and it should work on my new PC so may have to investigate.:confused:

Last edited:
Its not a replacement for complex adjustments in photoshop, but for fast adjustments i think its better and you can also open a file within capture and edit it in photoshop.

Capture One uses layers, so i rarely have a need to go into photoshop at all unless i want to do make a poster out of an image etc. (which i'm no use at any way lol)

Capture one is class for working with RAW files like, better than photoshops camera raw imo, but its file organizing/archiving is shocking and its not that intuitive so can take a while to get to grips but the results are 2nd to none.

I prefer and use aperture for an all round RAW editing, archiver and social integration like. But I re-edit my best shots in capture one from time to time and the results are better.

if you purely want a RAW converter (it has hellish tethering capabilities as well) then its colour reproduction and lens corrections are spot on.

finally I think its high end industry standard, phase one's medium format camera and pro photo rig compatibility etc.

hope than rant helps :p

True. What is this 'session' shit all about. I just wanted to put all the files in a bloody folder. It also leaves loads of weird files and folders lying around for no apparent reason

What editing do you use in C1?

True. What is this 'session' shit all about. I just wanted to put all the files in a bloody folder. It also leaves loads of weird files and folders lying around for no apparent reason

What editing do you use in C1?

I think the session organizing is designed heavily for tethered shooting rather than archiving.

Not sure what you mean by what editing do i use in Capture one, but i use it to correct lens distortion, chromo ab, white balance, noise reduction/sharpening.

For a much simpler interface have you tried DXO? its automatic corrections sharpening/noise reduction is quite impressive and the easiest of them all to use IMO.

I think the session organizing is designed heavily for tethered shooting rather than archiving.

Not sure what you mean by what editing do i use in Capture one, but i use it to correct lens distortion, chromo ab, white balance, noise reduction/sharpening.

For a much simpler interface have you tried DXO? its automatic corrections sharpening/noise reduction is quite impressive and the easiest of them all to use IMO.

That is what I mean, ta

I note the Raw importer on photoshop is pretty minging compared to C1 having used it for a few days now

If you've got cartloads of images to manage (and I imagine you probably have) give Lightroom a look. It comes into it's own for managing and keywording images. Granted the RAW converter is modelled on the Photoshop one; but it seems to be shitloads better in LR.

You can download a trial version from Adobe to see if you get on with it. I think it's class -use it for everything now.

If you've got cartloads of images to manage (and I imagine you probably have) give Lightroom a look. It comes into it's own for managing and keywording images. Granted the RAW converter is modelled on the Photoshop one; but it seems to be shitloads better in LR.

You can download a trial version from Adobe to see if you get on with it. I think it's class -use it for everything now.

I use LR 3.5 and I love it. From importing, cataloguing and simple filters that don't require photoshop it's amazing. Also, edits/filters and none-destructive.

I'm intrigues with Capture One now though, does it offer anything that Lightroom and Photoshop do not offer?

I use LR 3.5 and I love it. From importing, cataloguing and simple filters that don't require photoshop it's amazing. Also, edits/filters and none-destructive.

I'm intrigues with Capture One now though, does it offer anything that Lightroom and Photoshop do not offer?

Supposedly the best raw processor from what i read

I find there are great features unique to them all but not one of them is perfect for everything. If capture one had apertures archiving tools and was a easy and intuitive as Lightroom be ideal!

I find there are great features unique to them all but not one of them is perfect for everything. If capture one had apertures archiving tools and was a easy and intuitive as Lightroom be ideal!

I'm only really interested in editing functions really though. How it does the job

So far I've discovered that importing raw to tiff is far better in c1 than photoshop, but that's all I can tell you so far (given I'm using phase one it's unsurprising, dunno if it's the same for other raw files)

As soon as they are tiffs i go back to shopping, as I know what I'm doing

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only really interested in editing functions really though. How it does the job

So far I've discovered that importing raw to tiff is far better in c1 than photoshop, but that's all I can tell you so far (given I'm using phase one it's unsurprising, dunno if it's the same for other raw files)

As soon as they are tiffs i go back to shopping, as I know what I'm doing

Do you have any of these full res online i can have a look at? i'm intrigued how good quality a phase one medium format raw file would be (I'd imagine hellish)

but yeah if your just interested in RAW conversion there is no better tool than capture one.

Do you have any of these full res online i can have a look at? i'm intrigued how good quality a phase one medium format raw file would be (I'd imagine hellish)

but yeah if your just interested in RAW conversion there is no better tool than capture one.

I will put an image up on here at low res, and then put a detail up from it at 100%

picture.php

picture.php

That is from bottom right corner under the largest bit of icicle

picture.php

Easier to see where this detail is from

A bit late to this but anyway...

C1 is the best for processing, and even more so if you are using a phase one back.

Once you get you head around sessions its easy. Also the bottom half of the left hand side is just your OS system so you should be able to navigate around easy enough.

I'm on a mac and I give each shoot gets its own session, which I then break down further into shots (Shot 01, Shot 02 etc)

Editing wise, I would recommend sticking to the simple stuff in capture one and then heavier stuff in photoshop. I personally use capture one to alter things like exposure, contrast, colour balance, possibly a bit of colour editing, and a play with curves. Then obviously you can straighten and add vignettes etc. I haven't bothered with spotting or layers yet as I find them a bit cumbersome and prefer doing that sort of work in photoshop. I find it a lot quicker to make multiple Tiffs and layer them in photoshop.

A bit late to this but anyway...

C1 is the best for processing, and even more so if you are using a phase one back.

Once you get you head around sessions its easy. Also the bottom half of the left hand side is just your OS system so you should be able to navigate around easy enough.

I'm on a mac and I give each shoot gets its own session, which I then break down further into shots (Shot 01, Shot 02 etc)

Editing wise, I would recommend sticking to the simple stuff in capture one and then heavier stuff in photoshop. I personally use capture one to alter things like exposure, contrast, colour balance, possibly a bit of colour editing, and a play with curves. Then obviously you can straighten and add vignettes etc. I haven't bothered with spotting or layers yet as I find them a bit cumbersome and prefer doing that sort of work in photoshop. I find it a lot quicker to make multiple Tiffs and layer them in photoshop.

Cheers Johnny. Any particular reason you do curves and colour work in C1 rather than pshop?

Cheers Johnny. Any particular reason you do curves and colour work in C1 rather than pshop?

I actually do both.
I use photoshop to fine tune things, while I use c1 to get the overall feel of the image that I want.
Its also easier for the clients to see what the final image is going to look like rather than looking at a flat file.
As I mentioned I don't use layers in c1 so it's just a general curve. I also think its a bit easier/quicker to achieve the looks I'm after.

I pick my desired colour balance, add contrast, then desaturate. Then I'll start messing with each colours curves if it needs it.

But everything then gets tweaked in photoshop, and I'll even process the image multiple times then layer the desired images in photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back