Who scored the quickest goal you've ever seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Definitely a frozen pitch. I was at both games. We were indeed battering them in the first half and I remember we had a great chance for an opening goal - a cross and a header. The striker (can't remember who) did everything right and headed it down - it looked a goal all the way but the ground was so hard it bounced over the top! :eek::D

Then the rearranged game I think we kicked off, a pass was intercepted and Ian Rush ran up and scored. I think we got beat 3-0?

Definitely a frozen pitch. I was at both games. We were indeed battering them in the first half and I remember we had a great chance for an opening goal - a cross and a header. The striker (can't remember who) did everything right and headed it down - it looked a goal all the way but the ground was so hard it bounced over the top! :eek::D

Then the rearranged game I think we kicked off, a pass was intercepted and Ian Rush ran up and scored. I think we got beat 3-0?
Spot on mate exactly how I remember it. Rueben Agboola's aborted debut too.

It was David Hodgson with the header iirc

Daryl Murphy v Plymouth just before Keane took over as manager. We got beat 3-2.

That must have been under 20 seconds. Came from a long ball over the top just after kick off.

That was my lad's first game, it was just before his 4th birthday and he'd been desperate to go to a match.

We got in early to get him used the the number of people and let the crowd build up around us (not that it was a full house) and he was fine with the atmosphere as the teams came out then Murphy scored and the noise scared him and the waterworks started :lol:

He's now an ST holder and as resigned to his fate along with the rest of us.

Last edited:
Must be a game attended and must be the lads. I think mine might be Bob Lee in the 6-1 touncing of WBA in the 1976/7 season when he scored after just 25 seconds.

The have been several first minute goals over the years but I'm struggling to think of anything quicker.

Remember that, I was at the front of the Roker End where Lee scored. Their goalie, John Osbourne, had a mare but at least he had the good grace to engage with his hilarious hecklers.

Reactions: DJP
Must be a game attended and must be the lads. I think mine might be Bob Lee in the 6-1 touncing of WBA in the 1976/7 season when he scored after just 25 seconds.

The have been several first minute goals over the years but I'm struggling to think of anything quicker.
Good shout with that WBA game. I was in the Roker End that day. That was in amongst a hell of a run of wins for us.

Remember that, I was at the front of the Roker End where Lee scored. Their goalie, John Osbourne, had a mare but at least he had the good grace to engage with his hilarious hecklers.
Off topic but John Osborne was a genuine character in 70s football and often had banter with Roker Enders ;(and possibly the Fulwell End too). I remember reading how he died young at 57 when looking him up a few years ago. Always seemed to be joking on, but apparently a WBA legend who made there all-time greats squad. Like a few other greats, he started his career with Chesterfield. Any recollections or tales @Boinger (might have been before your time but I'm sure there were tales handed down;))

Off topic but John Osborne was a genuine character in 70s football and often had banter with Roker Enders ;(and possibly the Fulwell End too). I remember reading how he died young at 57 when looking him up a few years ago. Always seemed to be joking on, but apparently a WBA legend who made there all-time greats squad. Like a few other greats, he started his career with Chesterfield. Any recollections or tales @Boinger (might have been before your time but I'm sure there were tales handed down;))

I remember him on MOTD playing on after taking a really heavy knock. In fairness, I recall him being a good goalie overall & a great character.

Good shout with that WBA game. I was in the Roker End that day. That was in amongst a hell of a run of wins for us.

16 goals in 3 games with Rowell, Arnott & Elliott coming to the fore. Still got relegated, typical Sunderland.

Last edited:
I remember him on MOTD playing on after taking a really heavy knock. In fairness, I recall him being a good goalie overall & a great character.
A couple of memories I recall were when he once got pulled up on the four step rule (remember when keepers were only allowed four steps and were punished with a free kick from inside the box where the offence took place)

Anyway for the rest of the game he was counting along with the crowd every step. Another time he got caught on the hand by one of our strikers and started counting his fingers to make sure they were all there. He had I heard had a replacement finger or some such. All of this with a smile on his face. He must have been crackers:lol:

16 goals in 3 games with Rowell, Arnott & Elliott coming to the fore. Still got relegated, typical Sunderland.
I think it was summat like:

Beat Bristol City 1-0
Then Boro 4-0
West Brom 6-1
West Ham 6-0

Apologies if I have that wrong.

Even Bob Lee and Mel Holden were amongst the goals.

In 2004, I traipsed down to Plymouth and saw Sunderland go 1-0 down within a minute. There have been quicker goals, but few more insulting.

I think it was summat like:

Beat Bristol City 1-0
Then Boro 4-0
West Brom 6-1
West Ham 6-0

Apologies if I have that wrong.

Even Bob Lee and Mel Holden were amongst the goals.

Spot on as I recall mate. Bobby Kerr scored too v West Ham. Bob Lee scored 13 that season.

@Porridge What was Micky grays goal like at home to Barnsley circa 94 ?;)

I was there
Aye, our new 532 formation was smashed after 15 seconds.
What a fecking bogey ground AP was.
Hated going there.

There was a game in 76 which we won 3 nil where Osborne got injured when conceding a penna.
After a few mins delay and with him limping badly, Ally Robertson stood in for the penna.
Needless to say, "Tony Tony Towers - England" wasn't perturbed by it and confidently slotted home. Great season that.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Porridge What was Micky grays goal like at home to Barnsley circa 94 ?;)

Aye, our new 532 formation was smashed after 15 seconds.
What a fecking bogey ground AP was.
Hated going there.

There was a game in 76 which we won 3 nil where Osborne got injured when conceding a penna.
After a few mins delay and with him limping badly, Ally Robertson stood in for the penna.
Needless to say, "Tony Tony Towers - England" wasn't perturbed by it and confidently slotted home. Great season that.
Went to Ayresome Park 5 times, the only time I saw us score was Gary Hamilton's testimonal when we won 2-1. Was trouble in their paddock when we scored. Seaburn lads doing their usual thing :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back