Who on here shoots with a Canon 7D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got mine last month. Love it (so far)

Mines a grey import and had no problems. So has been worth saving 200 quid.

Got mine last month. Love it (so far)

Mines a grey import and had no problems. So has been worth saving 200 quid.

Worth saving the £200 if nothing goes wrong with it like mine... if it does then you're in the hands of the grey importer not Canon like me. I've sent mine back with no fuss and will receive it back in timely fashion... no idea how well the grey importer will handle things. Hopefully they'd be fine but sometimes I think paying the extra and being in the hands of Canon is better.

Saying that though a grey import isn't much difference to a 2nd hand 7D, and you'd be better off in the hands of a grey importer than some random on eBay.

Worth saving the £200 if nothing goes wrong with it like mine... if it does then you're in the hands of the grey importer not Canon like me. I've sent mine back with no fuss and will receive it back in timely fashion... no idea how well the grey importer will handle things. Hopefully they'd be fine but sometimes I think paying the extra and being in the hands of Canon is better.

Saying that though a grey import isn't much difference to a 2nd hand 7D, and you'd be better off in the hands of a grey importer than some random on eBay.

Yeah I use procamerashop and they are fantastic. Emailed them a while back just asking about it. They said even though they sometimes source equipment from different markets, if I ever have an issue they will sort it out for me.

Only difference I had was the EOS utility which was set up for either Australasia or Asia. But thats the only difference so far.

Yeah I use procamerashop and they are fantastic. Emailed them a while back just asking about it. They said even though they sometimes source equipment from different markets, if I ever have an issue they will sort it out for me.

Only difference I had was the EOS utility which was set up for either Australasia or Asia. But thats the only difference so far.

You will get a quicker turn around (replacement) from them then you would from Canon if it is faulty.

You can still go to Canon if you wish, but you would have to pay. I think Canon make in-warranty customers pay most of the time anyway, iirc IHBB had to pay for his damaged hotshoe..

procamerashop are class btw, I feel really guilty for returning over a grands worth of drunken purchases and not losing out on a penny :-(

You will get a quicker turn around (replacement) from them then you would from Canon if it is faulty.

You can still go to Canon if you wish, but you would have to pay. I think Canon make in-warranty customers pay most of the time anyway, iirc IHBB had to pay for his damaged hotshoe..

procamerashop are class btw, I feel really guilty for returning over a grands worth of drunken purchases and not losing out on a penny :-(

used them for my 7d and my 70-200. saved around 500quid already.

I'm not sure why Canon would charge you for in warranty repairs unless you'd damaged the camera yourself? A warranty protects the customer from this kind of thing so have no idea why or how they could charge someone for repairs that weren't customer created? :?:

Why would you get a quicker turn around too? Aren't most of the grey importers based in Hong Kong etc?

I'm not sure why Canon would charge you for in warranty repairs unless you'd damaged the camera yourself? A warranty protects the customer from this kind of thing so have no idea why or how they could charge someone for repairs that weren't customer created? :?:

Why would you get a quicker turn around too? Aren't most of the grey importers based in Hong Kong etc?

If Canon feel they can charge you for it they will. I understand how the warranty works but there are far fewer manufacturer-inherent issues in the camera's IC, mechanical and software then there can be user-inherent (it's a handheld, electronic device - what can possibly go wrong).

Turn around is quicker because they replace the camera and deal with the issue with Canon within the warranty terms. Grey import does not always mean the consumer bought it from outside the UK.

If Canon feel they can charge you for it they will. I understand how the warranty works but there are far fewer manufacturer-inherent issues in the camera's IC, mechanical and software then there can be user-inherent (it's a handheld, electronic device - what can possibly go wrong).

Turn around is quicker because they replace the camera and deal with the issue with Canon within the warranty terms. Grey import does not always mean the consumer bought it from outside the UK.

True but I think i'd still rather deal with Canon than some third party tbh... maybe that's just me though.

Yeah I'm sure Canon or any manufacturer will refuse to repair within warranty anything the user has created... I guess we can test the theory out about whether they try and do that will all repairs once they get round to looking at my camera :lol:

Needless to say I wont be paying for any repairs and if they insist the camera will be going back to Jacobs for a full refund

Based in Carlisle I think. Really polite and customer service is top notch. Some of the savings aren't massive, but it adds up.

compared to Amazon my 7d body would have been 1000. I got mine for 870. then the new lens on amazon is 993 and mine was 890. So it works out as good savings.

MPB Photographic are great as well. Second hand, but my Tamron was in amazing condition and i didn't notice any usage. saved over 100 on that as well.

True but I think i'd still rather deal with Canon than some third party tbh... maybe that's just me though.

Yeah I'm sure Canon or any manufacturer will refuse to repair within warranty anything the user has created... I guess we can test the theory out about whether they try and do that will all repairs once they get round to looking at my camera :lol:

Needless to say I wont be paying for any repairs and if they insist the camera will be going back to Jacobs for a full refund

they'll be honest with you I'm sure. It sounds like you have an electronics issue, which could be one of thousands of components. Any one of them could have a minor manufacturer-inherent defect or imperfection. That'll be covered.

MPB Photographic are great as well. Second hand, but my Tamron was in amazing condition and i didn't notice any usage. saved over 100 on that as well.

How has that been working out for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Based in Carlisle I think. Really polite and customer service is top notch. Some of the savings aren't massive, but it adds up.

compared to Amazon my 7d body would have been 1000. I got mine for 870. then the new lens on amazon is 993 and mine was 890. So it works out as good savings.

TBH if they are based in Carlisle I'd be a lot more inclined to use them. It's the companies that are based in Hong Kong etc that I'd be wary of, but if the worst came to the worst you could always turn up at their offices and kick off if they are based so close and they were messing you about.

I need another 7d body if mine doesn't come back in time for my next set of weddings so I've e-mailed them about delivery times etc... might take your advice and buy it from there if they can get it to me at short notice.

TBH if they are based in Carlisle I'd be a lot more inclined to use them. It's the companies that are based in Hong Kong etc that I'd be wary of, but if the worst came to the worst you could always turn up at their offices and kick off if they are based so close and they were messing you about.

I need another 7d body if mine doesn't come back in time for my next set of weddings so I've e-mailed them about delivery times etc... might take your advice and buy it from there if they can get it to me at short notice.

They are a good company. Only thing you might have a problem with is delivery. They are good, but not amazing. I ordered on friday, exclude the weekend, and it came today.

Maybe an email explaining the situation might help, they might let you get it quicker. They seem very personal compared a lot of other businesses, so worth a shout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back