Who here can speak foreign languages fluently?

I want to learn Italian. I am too lazy to actually do it though.

My Italian teacher had a doctorate in English from university in Milan.
She’d never been to England and copped off with some Scouse lad who took her back on easyJet to meet the folks.
She said she may as well have spent the weekend on the moon as she couldn’t understand a word anybody said.

My Italian teacher had a doctorate in English from university in Milan.
She’d never been to England and copped off with some Scouse lad who took her back on easyJet to meet the folks.
She said she may as well have spent the weekend on the moon as she couldn’t understand a word anybody said.

The polish lads at work have said that about our accent. They speak good English but when they first moved to the Northeast they had to relearn half of it.

I'm a translator. French is my main language but I'm proficient in Spanish and German. Intermediate Portuguese and Italian (I understand most of it but struggle to reply when spoken to). Forgotten nearly all the Chinese and Russian I learned.

I did French at secondary from Y7, kept it up at A level and uni. Started Spanish from scratch in sixth form and uni. Did beginners' courses in German, Italian and Russian at sixth form, elective modules in Chinese, Russian, Italian, Portuguese and German at uni...then to top it off when I graduated (French/Spanish interpreting and translating), I did a 13-week intensive course in German.

Tl;dr - I learned it at school, college and university but also studied abroad as part of that and have since lived in France and Québec for work.

Wish I was.

Can get by in German quite well which stems from doing it at GCSE, then working in Germany for a bit, then working next to a German bloke for 4 years during my doctorate back in the UK.

It's all pretty functional though and I couldn't have a conversation about anything interesting.

Been off that project a few years and I started learning conversational Spanish this March as thats where we holiday and would eventually love to retire to . The grammar/conjugation looks brutal at first but stick with it and hopefully you will enjoy as much as I do . Still a massively long way to go and still need to think what I want to say in advance of saying (or trying to say it :) One problem I do have is that job for 10 years or more was part of a team rolling out SAP across our European sites so I always tried to pick up a few words even if it was basic hello , goodbye , yes no and so on and find my self when trying to string a Spanish sentence together, will drop an Italian word or a French one . Good example is "How much" Spanish is "Cuanto cuesta" and Italian is "Quanto costa" :) For online help I use spanishdict.com - if you type in a verb you will get alll the conjugate and most have audio as well

Cuanto cuesta is fine, but it means "how much does it cost?". You can say instead "cuanto es?" which is maybe a bit more natural - how much is it? - like my name here...

I'll not be taking the pay cut
I remember when I had all the money in the world. The first thing I bought was a top of the range sound system and a few guitars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top tip 1 , learn English grammar first.
Top tip 2 , get yourself a girlfriend/ boyfriend in said country.

I’ve been to French, Italian, Spanish, Turkish, Maltese and Arabic lessons and struggled to get past lesson one.
Conjugate the verb....eh, what the fuck does that mean ?
What pissed me off trying to learn at school was all these grammar terms that I'd never used before and certainly hadn't needed to know to learn English. I did a little better with Michel Thomas courses, partly cos of this. I can speak a few basic lines in French Spanish and German, with a basic understanding of sentence structure. Spanish is probably my favourite to learn as they pronounce all their letters (stupid frogs) and pronounce them properly (bloody krauts).

Back