Who here can speak foreign languages fluently?

It’s not until one begins to learn a foreign language in adulthood that one recognises that an English State education failed to teach basic grammar and that one’s English teacher was a well meaning but incompetent arsehole.

I can string a reasonable sentence together but how much better and how much opportunity for enjoyment and creativity would I have had if I’d actually been taught?

I only recognised this when I learned a little Spanish and realised I had only a scant understanding of the grammatical rules in my own language.
This is absolutely correct. Once you teach yourself the correct English language rules other languages become much more methodical and easier to work out. Eventually you get to the point where you may not know a word but can describe it. Similar to the fella earlier in the thread asking where the bus ticket box was.

This is absolutely correct. Once you teach yourself the correct English language rules other languages become much more methodical and easier to work out. Eventually you get to the point where you may not know a word but can describe it. Similar to the fella earlier in the thread asking where the bus ticket box was.

At one of the my early Spanish classes the tutor mentioned we would look at applying the"gerund to verbs " I have never heard of this and questioned it , to discover its the applying of "ing" Im 58 and never heard of this word :)

If so, how did you learn? Did you find it easy? Any recommended online courses etc?

Muchas Gracias!

I'm learning Spanish right now. Rosetta Stone was a good starting point for me. My wife's family is all Cuban so my wife is fluent, so she helps me with it by not speaking to me in English and making me work out the conversation.

I've got very good at understanding conversations around me and take in a lot more than I let on.

Back