Who here can speak foreign languages fluently?

Hyltonian

Striker
If so, how did you learn? Did you find it easy? Any recommended online courses etc?

Muchas Gracias!

Last edited:

I'm not fluent so feel free to ignore but I am B1/B2 (intermediate / upper intermediate) in Polish which is thought to be one of the hardest popular languages to learn:

There isn't a perfect way, but when I was starting out I found focusing on vocabulary and common phrases worked well, whilst at the same time immersing myself in the language as much as possible - TV, radio, film etc. Don't worry too much about grammar and definitely don't spend ages memorising grammar tables and conjugations etc.

The main thing is to use it! Don't worry about being wrong or perfect. I once asked a bus driver 'where is the ticket machine' by saying 'where is the bus ticket box' etc.

Grammar will come. If you listen to the language and are using it enough you'll find yourself using the right cases because they feel right.

Definitely recommend you get a teacher for one-to-one lessons if possible, Skype is fine.

Memrise is a great app for vocabulary.

Top tip 1 , learn English grammar first.
Top tip 2 , get yourself a girlfriend/ boyfriend in said country.

I’ve been to French, Italian, Spanish, Turkish, Maltese and Arabic lessons and struggled to get past lesson one.
Conjugate the verb....eh, what the fuck does that mean ?

Back