who grew up in the 80's/ 90's

Aye you are right, things have really improved in the violent crimes front eh, and there are plenty of police who go everywhere now. Still at least the issue with drugs has improved now and of course in those days, if you were out of work you had the stigma of being included in the unemployed figures. At least these days working 1 hour a fortnight on a zero hour contract and having to use food banks, you can be classed as ‘employed’.

Much better as you say!
I can only talk about sunderland as that’s the only place I’ve lived .It was a shit hole in the years I’ve just mentioned with kids running riot .
Sunderland is a miles better place now with little crime ,all the shit tips have been pulled down and rebuilt (Johnstone court ,Dame Dot,Carley square,Garths,Pennywell ,Ford ,Southwick ,Barclay court All feral areas I knew most of well where crime was out of control.More police where needed back then .

Employment is a debate I agree,I do remember back then blokes thought the world was coming to an end with all the pits/yards /factory’s closing down .

I don’t appreciate your sarcastic tone either in you post ,put your point across by all means .

I can only talk about sunderland as that’s the only place I’ve lived .It was a shit hole in the years I’ve just mentioned with kids running riot .
Sunderland is a miles better place now with little crime ,all the shit tips have been pulled down and rebuilt (Johnstone court ,Dame Dot,Carley square,Garths,Pennywell ,Ford ,Southwick ,Barclay court All feral areas I knew most of well where crime was out of control.More police where needed back then .

Employment is a debate I agree,I do remember back then blokes thought the world was coming to an end with all the pits/yards /factory’s closing down .

I don’t appreciate your sarcastic tone either in you post ,put your point across by all means .

Fair enough on all points.

Speedball 2 will never be beaten I say!

Seriously though, growing up in Sunderland in the 80's was class imo. Some people don't realise how lucky we mackems/northerners are. In comparison, I moved daan to Landan in the 90's and childhood down there consists of never being allowed out of the house until you're 14 because traffic/rapists/weird foreigners. 14 ffs. None of my London mates had even a fraction as much fun as I did growing up a skint, scruffy-fyaced bairn in Ryhope. Most the fuckers had never even climbed a tree before, let alone a drain pipe or lamppost. Where as I'd climbed every tree, bus stop, garage and lamppost in Ryhope and Grangey, and had probably broken several laws doing so, before my 7th birthday EASILY.

If you grew up in Sunderland, whatever the decade, then you're one of the lucky few imo. Count yersels lucky!

All lies

Load up an emulator and give some of those games a bash mate. Lemmings is still canny, as are a few others. For the most part it's all shite though.

I think gaming peaked with the GameCube personally, but that's because of the laughs I had paying them before and after a night out with my mates.

500A+ plus with the cartoon heroes bundle or some shit. :cool:
The GameCube, Haway man seriously. N64 was infinitely better with its selection of games.

Born in 78. Loved weekends in the 80s. Getting up and from Trans world sport at 6am till about 12pm it was all great kids tv to watch. Through Roker with my dad was much better than the shit we have now then an Indian or Chinese on the night with a class Saturday night viewing schedule.

No mobiles was great and I’m pleased I didn’t have the internet back then. Music was brilliant in the 80s, then rave and britpop, E taking off we’re all massive events and the younguns in the 00s onwards haven’t a f***ing clue how to organise something like that they’re too busy arguing over Brexit and posting stats online and figures when they should be out f***ing young women like most of us 70s, 80s and 90s kids.

Born in 78. Loved weekends in the 80s. Getting up and from Trans world sport at 6am
Used to love that mind. Glued to some highlights of a squash tournament in Belgium or a marathon on Poland, all that happened about a month ago.

Used to love Sportsnight midweek as well, somd tinpot boxing encounters in a leisure centre in ipswich.

And watching the midweek games 'live' by just sitting waiting for teletext to update.

Born '74. 80's and 90's were f***ing class.

Playing out all day and night with mates from the area (British Bulldog, Hidey, Tiggy, Footy)
Only 4 channels on tv but the programmes on them were mostly brilliant (Top of the pops, Young Ones, Gladiators, Saturday morning tv, Fresh Prince)
Loads and loads of cartoons
Buying a strip of acid from outside the leis for £1 and tripping balls all night
Going out on the town with a tenner and not once thinking you will run out
Going out early as you can because you only had till 2pm 'till everything closed. Everyone knew the meeting pub and non of this "ill meet up later" shite, you missed the meet and you had to search for people in every pub
Playing football before school, during school, break time, dinner time, after school and still wanting to keep playing
Everyone knew everyone on each estate and all knocked about together and done shit
Computers/Gaming systems were just coming in big and games were f***ing brilliant as they were a new thing. We also had to work out games on our own or in groups and not just jump online to see how to complete it. Games were also f***ing brutally hard. Buying monthly mags for demo tapes, pokes, reviews etc. Games for £1.99, £9.99 for the top ones)
Hiring computer games or films and copying them.
Having to actually have some patter with lasses to pull them
Class films and not just every one a remash of something thats already been done
Class music
The charts and no.1 was a massive thing. Especially the Christmas no.1
House parties at school and then when older after the 2pm clubbing curfew
Being scared of teachers/coppers who would give you a clip if you acted the twat. And you just accepted it for being a twat in the first instance.
Knife crime was hardly heard of, bar the odd nutter.

Class days. Whilst a lot of things are "better" now (internet, gaming, tv, etc.) they just don't compare to just how brilliant things were back then.

Used to love that mind. Glued to some highlights of a squash tournament in Belgium or a marathon on Poland, all that happened about a month ago.

Used to love Sportsnight midweek as well, somd tinpot boxing encounters in a leisure centre in ipswich.

And watching the midweek games 'live' by just sitting waiting for teletext to update.
Aye me too. Just always sat hoping BMXing in Austria would come on or somewhere

- Only 4 channels on tv but the programmes on them were mostly brilliant (Top of the pops, Young Ones, Gladiators, Saturday morning tv, Fresh Prince)
- Loads and loads of cartoons
- Everyone knew the meeting pub and non of this "ill meet up later" shite, you missed the meet and you had to search for people in every pub
- Computers/Gaming systems were just coming in big and games were f***ing brilliant as they were a new thing. We also had to work out games on our own or in groups and not just jump online to see how to complete it. Games were also f***ing brutally hard. Buying monthly mags for demo tapes, pokes, reviews etc. Games for £1.99, £9.99 for the top ones)
- Hiring computer games or films and copying them.
- Having to actually have some patter with lasses to pull them
- Class films and not just every one a remash of something thats already been done
- Class music
TV is better today than it was, there are multiple channels of cartoons too. That's improved over time.

Needing to search through a load of pubs (or your group needing to stick to a specific route) was shit.

As you say not gaming is just better now.

You can just pirate games right now, no need to hire and copy them if that's your bag.

You probably still need patter, it's a long time since I tried to pull a lass though

Music and films, I think everyone thinks those things peaked in their day tbh.

Playing out all day and night with mates from the area (British Bulldog, Hidey, Tiggy, Footy)
Only 4 channels on tv but the programmes on them were mostly brilliant (Top of the pops, Young Ones, Gladiators, Saturday morning tv, Fresh Prince)
Loads and loads of cartoons
Buying a strip of acid from outside the leis for £1 and tripping balls all night
Going out on the town with a tenner and not once thinking you will run out
Going out early as you can because you only had till 2pm 'till everything closed. Everyone knew the meeting pub and non of this "ill meet up later" shite, you missed the meet and you had to search for people in every pub
Playing football before school, during school, break time, dinner time, after school and still wanting to keep playing
Everyone knew everyone on each estate and all knocked about together and done shit
Computers/Gaming systems were just coming in big and games were f***ing brilliant as they were a new thing. We also had to work out games on our own or in groups and not just jump online to see how to complete it. Games were also f***ing brutally hard. Buying monthly mags for demo tapes, pokes, reviews etc. Games for £1.99, £9.99 for the top ones)
Hiring computer games or films and copying them.
Having to actually have some patter with lasses to pull them
Class films and not just every one a remash of something thats already been done
Class music
The charts and no.1 was a massive thing. Especially the Christmas no.1
House parties at school and then when older after the 2pm clubbing curfew
Being scared of teachers/coppers who would give you a clip if you acted the twat. And you just accepted it for being a twat in the first instance.
Knife crime was hardly heard of, bar the odd nutter.

Class days. Whilst a lot of things are "better" now (internet, gaming, tv, etc.) they just don't compare to just how brilliant things were back then.

brought a tear to my eye that like

The 80s and 90s were pretty shit if you look back really. Coal fires, 4 tv channels with fuck all on. I remember it was 1992 before we got a boiler and central heating along with a gas fire. It was bliss not shivering your bollocks off get ready for school.

As a kid you made your own entertainment, out kicking and throwing a ball about.
most people had nowt as well so we were all in the same situation. Remember getting a sega mega drive for Christmas. Cost of games were ridiculous so only ever had a couple :lol:

Loved around 94/95 and the whole rise of Brit pop and oasis though. Now that was class

Countries infrastructure was dropping to bits

18 years of Tory rule meant by the time I was taking my GCSEs the school was dropping to bits. A window actually fell out of the crumbling frame during a maths exam ffs. Took 10 years of a labour government to stick all the required infrastructure on the countries credit card.

1981 I was born. 1995-2000 was the best years imo

Euro 96
Holidays to Kavos, Ayia Napa etc,
Dance/Trance Music
Champ Manager round a mates house
Bucking lasses all owa the place

Class😎

A year before you were born you were played off the park at Wembley by the mighty Town.
“Swindon can we have a touch of the ball please....:)
I would say you dodged a bullet thus not all that bad. Music though was better then.
1990 numbnuts. :lol:
Remember crime and young lads being particularly bad in the late 80’s and early 90’s.
Ram raiding ,car theft was massive,burglary was rife,riots.a lot of council estates in the country where no go areas for flatties .
Mass unemployment ,industry that had been there for hundreds of years gone over night.

Rough time imo the 80’s and early 90’s
A night out was certainly more edgey back then. Guaranteed to see bother on a Friday night out down the town whereas now hardlys ever.

Last edited:

Back