WHO coronavirus report is surprising

It would appear we weren’t as bad as others and the death figures have been under reported in many countries. That wasn’t the impression all through pandemic.

Germany worse than us is surprising. Suppose we need to take the figures with a pinch of salt.
They estimate 15 million deaths worldwide☹️

Not sure if anyone will look as this forum is dead but it’s interesting nonetheless.

I doubt anyone will comment.
I'd say it's unsurprising that figures were under-reported as politically they were inconvenient. We've just passed 175K deaths in the UK - nothing to crow about especially given the recent revelations about seeding the care homes with the virus. I look forward the the full investigation of the Tories' handling of this mess.

I'd say it's unsurprising that figures were under-reported as politically they were inconvenient. We've just passed 175K deaths in the UK - nothing to crow about especially given the recent revelations about seeding the care homes with the virus. I look forward the the full investigation of the Tories' handling of this mess.
I see you didn’t read the link. Well done

I agree, it's nothing to crow about, but those numbers have been used as a stick to beat anyone who dared be optimistic and also as an unfavourable comparator to other countries for a long time now.

If it turns out that the 'good' countries weren't actually as good as originally thought, will hands be held up with admissions that people were wrong? Personally, I doubt it.

I also doubt that the results of any investigation will be accepted unless it (deservedly) hammers the governments handling of the pandemic - especially in the early stages.

I agree, it's nothing to crow about, but those numbers have been used as a stick to beat anyone who dared be optimistic and also as an unfavourable comparator to other countries for a long time now.

If it turns out that the 'good' countries weren't actually as good as originally thought, will hands be held up with admissions that people were wrong? Personally, I doubt it.

I also doubt that the results of any investigation will be accepted unless it (deservedly) hammers the governments handling of the pandemic - especially in the early stages.
His point about covid deaths being under reported wasn’t even true. WHO report said we were spot on but Germany were way way under.
I’m still dubious about their figures mind.

Whatever. I'm not getting into another meaningless, endless, to and fro with you.
Because you can’t. The WHO figures have shown you and a few others to be wrong. You can admit being wrong, it’s okay.

You used those numbers as a stick to beat this country with for months and to look at how well the Germans have done.

You were wrong.

Whatever. I'm not getting into another meaningless, endless, to and fro with you.
It's an interesting report. Don't read it if you aren't interested.

it contradicts your points about under reporting and it would seem Germany, Spain and Italy were worse. Sweden came out well and France very well. this is why I would have some doubts about it's accuracy. @Frijj may be able to shed light.

I take the report with a pinch of salt but interesting nonetheless.

For any reason within 28 days of a positive test?
W.H.O. officials cited Britain as an example of a country that had accurately recorded Covid deaths: Their analysis found that about 149,000 more people than normal had died during the pandemic, nearly identical to the number of Covid deaths Britain reported.

Nations that report Covid deaths more accurately have also been at the center of disputes over the reliability of excess death estimates. In Germany, for example, the W.H.O. experts estimated that 195,000 more people than normal had died during the pandemic, a significantly higher toll than the 112,000 Covid deaths recorded there.

Again, there is a big caveat from me. not sure how accurate WHO estimates are. Interesting nonetheless.

You could see it happening at the time. Countries with different reporting criteria and just blatant under reporting, yet we saw huge amounts of hysteria about how badly we were doing. It was always going to be the case that we couldn’t tell how well we’d done until it was “finished”.

Our vaccine program was up there with the best, globally. That needed to be taken into account.

Covid was used as a stick to beat the country into thinking it’s not as good as we thinking it is, when I believe the reverse is true.

Back