White supremacists matching in Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are some people saying that the self confessed white supremicists aren't actually white supremicists? Or that the lads waving a huge swastikas aren't Nazis? :eek:

Sounds like "but the statues...!" is the new "but Hilary's emails...!"
I don't agree with a racist agenda but I also don't agree with the statue being removed.

More for the fact that someone at one point wanted a statue of Lee but 150 years later they've decided that it was a mistake. In which case we shouldn't have statues of anyone.

Nope.

Try reading the thread.
Hadn't had you down as a bellend before and Id presumed the homophobic nonsense you were aiming at me the other day was a joke but hey ho it seems you're in love with trying to be a smart arse.

You don't mess with peoples history in their own back yard to be fair.

I'm going to write a longer post later about this (as a Virginia native and someone who lived in Charlottesville, where this is happening, for 7 years), but this is one thing I think needs clearing up at the outset. Despite being in somewhat the middle of nowhere in Virginia, Charlottesville is a very liberal place. Clinton won over 80% of the vote there. It's not the "back yard" of the American right wing. Even Albemarle County, which surrounds Charlottesville and is significantly less of a liberal oasis, went almost 60% for Clinton.

Slavery is understandably still a sensitive issue down there, mind.

Robert E. Lee was one of the more "enlightened" Confederates and had a far more nuanced view on slavery than most of his contemporaries. He essentially viewed it as a necessary evil to "educate" the black race in order to prepare them for better things. Very much an advocate of the "white man's burden."

Still wrong in the grand scheme of things but in the context of his era he was one of the more respectable Confederates.

I read that its all come about because of the removal of this statue. You've got the people who want it to stay and then you've got the people you want it removed. Then add your white supremacists to one side and your ANTIFA and BLM folk to the other and you've got yourself an explosive mix.

It's just toxic individuals from the left and the right attaching themselves to issues. White supremacists are obviously a bad bunch of lads, but those ANTIFA and Black Lives Matter folk don't help either.

Personally I don't agree with the removal of the statue, it's historical revisionism and the chipping away of history. It's not like the bloke killed 6 million jews, 20 million serfs or 200 million chinks is it.

My response on the Trump thread was this and I stick by it:

Race baiting has got to such a point that the rhetoric has brought out the Nazis who think it's now safe (worth outing themselves as such) to respond. Well imagine my shock.

For all those who didn't see this coming, you haven't been on the right parts of twitter.

My response on the Trump thread was this and I stick by it:

Race baiting has got to such a point that the rhetoric has brought out the Nazis who think it's now safe (worth outing themselves as such) to respond. Well imagine my shock.

For all those who didn't see this coming, you haven't been on the right parts of twitter.
its nothing new though, there are regular KKK marches for example, have been for decades. obviously this is the most violent for a while (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back