Whisky

After a bit advice from the bourbon drinkers, I've been asked by my friends wife to get her a bottle for him as a present, budget is around £100 nothing with to high an abv, he's just finished a bottle of E.H. Taylor Small Batch which he enjoyed so maybe something similar, cheers in advance.

Widow Jane 10yo and Noah's Mill are very decent. Both retail for around £70 - £75 iirc. Could also try a Booker's though I've found the different batches quite variable.

Last edited:

Thinking of recommencing the bulk orders to Fine Drams...even with VAT added and any admin fee a bulk order for me and mates still well worth it.
Seeing some of the prices and even availability compared to some UK sites got me tempted again.
What are the extra costs involved 20% vat charged on entry ?

What are the extra costs involved 20% vat charged on entry ?
From what I recall last time( got the order sent back to Fine Drams) it was the 20% VAT and an admin/handling fee.
With hindsight the extras weren't too bad, especially given it was 8 or so bottles and wish I'd accepted the order.
Their delivery to the UK is oonly 4.80 euro's which is very cheap.

From what I recall last time( got the order sent back to Fine Drams) it was the 20% VAT and an admin/handling fee.
With hindsight the extras weren't too bad, especially given it was 8 or so bottles and wish I'd accepted the order.
Their delivery to the UK is oonly 4.80 euro's which is very cheap.
Had a quick look their is some good priced stuff on there and postage is very cheap.

Had a quick look their is some good priced stuff on there and postage is very cheap.

Used them half a dozen times all without bother and delivery quick as well.
The go to bottles for pals was the 105 ( litre bottles were £35 quid)
The arran Sauternes and Port Finishes, albeit old style bottles were/are stupidly cheap

Last edited:
Haig Club and Grants
I'm not a blended whisky drinker so no idea on the flavour profiles of those. Others can probably advise better.
If you are just starting out on the single malt journey maybe try something fairly neutral first like Glenmorangie or Glenfiddich. If you want to stick to blended then a few blended drinkers I know quite like Johhnie Walker Green Label.
I'm not a blended whisky drinker so no idea on the flavour profiles of those. Others can probably advise better.
If you are just starting out on the single malt journey maybe try something fairly neutral first like Glenmorangie or Glenfiddich. If you want to stick to blended then a few blended drinkers I know quite like Johhnie Walker Green Label.
If you want to step it up a little from the 'supermarket' entry malts, then Arran 10yo, Bunnahabhain 12yo and Ardbeg 10yo (peated) are good places to start.

Last edited:
Another option might be the likes of Lidl/Aldi single malts.
Decent value at about £17.50, though as FCOM says the three he mentions are a step up on these

If you want to step it up a little from the 'supermarket' entry malts, then Arran 10yo, Bunnahabhain 12yo and Ardbeg 10yo (peated) are good places to start.
Thank you!

Anyone know of any good airport whiskies on the go at the minute? Normally see some random editions at duty free, tempted to buy one for a few days away

Back