Whisky

Never been a fan of smokey whisky - not that I've had loads mind, but currently reading raw spirit and decided to give it another go.

So Bowmore 12 being sampled- can manage it. Have the 15 and 18 to try. Maybe my palate has evolved.

I participated in a Paul John tasting with my local whisky group last night. They offered us all of their core expressions and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The Classic and Bold in particular garnered universal praise amongst our group. Having only had a couple of IBs in the past, it’s a distillery I’ll look out for more in the future.

I participated in a Paul John tasting with my local whisky group last night. They offered us all of their core expressions and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The Classic and Bold in particular garnered universal praise amongst our group. Having only had a couple of IBs in the past, it’s a distillery I’ll look out for more in the future.

is the classic their cask strength ?

If so on Fine Drams at £45 which seems a bargain...might add that to next order from them.
I did enjoy the Amrut cask strength

I've got a bottle of the Brilliance opened (well nearly finished tbh) and it's lovely. I was in Goa (where it's made) last year and was going to get another couple of bottles but the prices over there were extortionate.

is the classic their cask strength ?

If so on Fine Drams at £45 which seems a bargain...might add that to next order from them.
I did enjoy the Amrut cask strength

It is indeed. They’re all undeniably young but there’s plenty going on with the Classic.
I've got a bottle of the Brilliance opened (well nearly finished tbh) and it's lovely. I was in Goa (where it's made) last year and was going to get another couple of bottles but the prices over there were extortionate.

The state tax laws in India for alcohol are crazy - one of the reasons a lot of Indians drink called whisky but made from molasses as it circumvents the tax laws.

Last edited:
It is indeed. They’re all undeniably young but there’s plenty going on with the Classic.

The state tax laws in India for alcohol are crazy - one of the reasons a lot of Indians drink called whisky but made from molasses as it circumvents the tax laws.
I was drinking a lot of this over there, any decent stuff was just too expensive. Just needed a whisky hit and I wasn't bothered how I got it.
Logon or register to see this image

Just been looking through my photos and found this beauty :lol:
https://postimg.cc/WdDGCBLf

Last edited:
Never been a fan of smokey whisky - not that I've had loads mind, but currently reading raw spirit and decided to give it another go.

So Bowmore 12 being sampled- can manage it. Have the 15 and 18 to try. Maybe my palate has evolved.

I've never been a smokey/peaty whisky drinker either - mainly Lowland or Speyside but I feel that at my advancing age I really should expand my horizons.

Really can't stand the smell of Laphroaig so is there an "entry level" smokey whisky anyone could recommend to get started?

I've never been a smokey/peaty whisky drinker either - mainly Lowland or Speyside but I feel that at my advancing age I really should expand my horizons.

Really can't stand the smell of Laphroaig so is there an "entry level" smokey whisky anyone could recommend to get started?
Try Benromach 15, it's got a good balance I'm not into heavily peated stuff but can drink this all day

Benromach is what set off my curiosity strangely enough, it's a speyside done in the old fashioned way with a puff of smoke in the tail. From there it was Arran's Machrie Moor, another typically non peated malt producer however MM is somewhat lightly peated at 20ppm and I loved it.

I've always had a thing for Lagavulin though, I would only ever have it once in a blue moon but I always liked it (albiet in very small doses)

These days I'll try any and all peated malts, I currently have a couple each of Laphroaig, Ardbeg and Ledaig in my collection which I'm thoroughly enjoying.

Benromach is what set off my curiosity strangely enough, it's a speyside done in the old fashioned way with a puff of smoke in the tail. From there it was Arran's Machrie Moor, another typically non peated malt producer however MM is somewhat lightly peated at 20ppm and I loved it.

I've always had a thing for Lagavulin though, I would only ever have it once in a blue moon but I always liked it (albiet in very small doses)

These days I'll try any and all peated malts, I currently have a couple each of Laphroaig, Ardbeg and Ledaig in my collection which I'm thoroughly enjoying.

Thanks- my boss got me a bottle of Ardbeg a few years ago and I struggled to finish it

Really should head to a decent whisky pub as soon as they reopen. Just in the interests of research you understand..

Was looking at them myself the other day funnily enough, the description of the Caol Ila in particular seems right up my street. A few on whiskybase saying it's a tad thin at 43% but all down to personal taste obviously
Aye, funny what becomes the new normal. 43% has replaced 40% as being a bit meh these days. 46% seems to be the new benchmark normal. Thought I'd give it a go though. I've been to the Gordon & MacPhail shop in Elgin a few years ago, a real Aladinn's Cave.

Last edited:

I enjoyed the bowmore 15. Wasn't too smokey at all.

A decent Yamazaki with almond, sandalwood, stone fruit and wood spice. No age statement but certainly quite youthful.

Logon or register to see this image

just sipping the Kilkerran 8 cask strength...
Very decent and unlike some of the reviewers no sulphur, though not something I’m susceptible to.

Sounds like some North Star releases soon 👍

Steered clear of Japanese malts due to prices and value apparently long since gone.

Back