Whisky

So what the line up tonight folks?

I’m thinking an Eagle Rare bourbon that been hanging around too long and I’d like to kill off, followed by Arran Quarter Cask, Kilkerran heavily peated and a SMWS 13yo Caol Ila.

Still killing off some peated bottles...
Peat beast and the last of elements of Islay Peat.

Polished off the Smokehead earlier which was a gift...nowt great

I’m thinking an Eagle Rare bourbon that been hanging around too long and I’d like to kill off, followed by Arran Quarter Cask, Kilkerran heavily peated and a SMWS 13yo Caol Ila.

Really like my KK heavily peated

Still killing off some peated bottles...
Peat beast and the last of elements of Islay Peat.

Polished off the Smokehead earlier which was a gift...nowt great

Really like my KK heavily peated
Yes not a big Smokehead fan myself. Best I’ve had recently of the unnamed Islays was the Aerolite Lyndsay, I think that’s decent value at £32-34 ish.

Got lucky last month when an online auction had an Eagle Rare single barrel listed simply as a standard bottle, so I managed to get it at a lesser price than those that were chalked up SB 😁 The SB in my experience is superior to the standard version, although that isn't too shabby it has to be said.

Got lucky last month when an online auction had an Eagle Rare single barrel listed simply as a standard bottle, so I managed to get it at a lesser price than those that were chalked up SB 😁 The SB in my experience is superior to the standard version, although that isn't too shabby it has to be said.
Can’t really get into it mate but I’m not an experienced bourbon drinker. Only really had the cheaper stuff like Makers Mark, Bulleit and Buffalo Trace. Preferred the Buffalo Trace of the 3 so thought I’d try the Eagle Rare 10. Drinkable but don’t think I’ll be buying any more bourbon. Much prefer my malts.
I think Distell do a great job with their 3 distilleries, Bunna, Deanston & Tobermory. Sure they are very good at marketing them but they have the quality products to back it up.
Friday nights during lockdown I tend to watch Roy’s Aquavite V Pub from the previous evening on YouTube.

Coincidental that his guest last night was Ian Macmillan ex Burns Stewart who left after the Distell takeover. I hadn’t realised that after leaving Distell he was heavily involved in the Bladnoch refurbishment. Safe to say guy is largely responsible for some of my favourite drams. 🥃

Last edited:
My evening lineup was Springbank 12 Cask strength, Glengoyne 10 (bottle kill), and cracked open a Laphroaig Quarter Cask

for £10 more than the Lidl Islay you can often pick up Laphraoig QC....a big step up.
Ledaig 10 won’t disappoint
Had a little try of the Ledaig 10 last night, very very nice 🥃 can see that being a regular purchase
of the three Islays I’d plump for the Ardbeg 10...though generally a tenner or so at least more expensive.

Never had the Aberfledy....a mate likes it in a easy sipper sort of way
Ended up getting a bottle of Ardbeg 10 today as well, couldn’t help myself...
Got a bottle of Haig Club Clubman as well as was on offer for £16.50 in Sainsbury’s, that can be my cheaper option or use as a mixer if it’s crap

Last edited:

Back