Whisky

Thought this might interest you seeing as you're a big fan of Bunna...

Not gonna lie I'm really keen on it myself but having recently spent a small fortune on whisk(e)y I'm gonna struggling to resist for now...

does look decent

right long bike ride done and gave the two winter bikes a massive clean and de grease before putting them away till winter so I’ve well and truly earned beer and a few drams

think Glendronach and then a few 105’s to finish

Stupid question time.

I know it's not everyone's cup of whisky but so far dalmore 12 has been the best I've had. My mam died on Monday and she loved a drink (not whisky mind), so thinking of getting a bottle that i use on special occasions to remember her by. Like birthdays, Christmas, Sunderland title wins.

So since I think dalmore 12 is lovely would dalmore 18 also be to my taste? As I say daft question as my thoughts are of course but just want to be sure.

Last edited:
Stupid question time.

I know it's not everyone's cup of whisky but so far dalmore 15 has been the best I've had. My mam died on Monday and she loved a drink (not whisky mind), so thinking of getting a bottle that i use on special occasions to remember her by. Like birthdays, Christmas, Sunderland title wins.

So since I think dalmore 15 is lovely would dalmore 18 also be to my taste? As I say daft question as my thoughts are of course but just want to be sure.

would Imagine so....Not a Dalmore fan,as much to do with the over marketing and over use of e150 if I’m honest.
Or Dalmore dye as I like to call it :eek:

like the idea/sentiment mind 👍 and sorry about your loss

Stupid question time.

I know it's not everyone's cup of whisky but so far dalmore 12 has been the best I've had. My mam died on Monday and she loved a drink (not whisky mind), so thinking of getting a bottle that i use on special occasions to remember her by. Like birthdays, Christmas, Sunderland title wins.

So since I think dalmore 12 is lovely would dalmore 18 also be to my taste? As I say daft question as my thoughts are of course but just want to be sure.

Condolences. The 18yo does have a similar flavour profile and the extra 3% abv lifts it a bit, but also makes the slight chemical nature of the whisky marginally more pronounced.

Cheers. So far the only whisky I've hated is talisker. Had 2 versions of it and couldn't finish. So, reckon the 18 year old will be fine. Only bought the 12 as I thought the bottle looked lovely and loved the taste. Crackers how many dont like it.

Just mentioned it to the mrs who is still laughing a the thought of title wins the cheeky mare.

Cheers. So far the only whisky I've hated is talisker. Had 2 versions of it and couldn't finish. So, reckon the 18 year old will be fine. Only bought the 12 as I thought the bottle looked lovely and loved the taste. Crackers how many dont like it.

Just mentioned it to the mrs who is still laughing a the thought of title wins the cheeky mare.

were the Taliskers Skye and Storm ?

The 10 is a lot better...the special release 8 was meant to be superb but hard to get hold of ( reckon someone on here will have it ;))

Stupid question time.

Sorry to hear that your mam is no longer with you. I really disliked Talisker when I tried it. I've nee idea about Dalmore as I haven't ventured there yet.

As far as Talisker goes I've only ever had the 10 and it was really nice, I'd definitely revisit it at some point. Never tried Dalmore although I did have a fancy for it once but was put off when I discovered they used colouring. Same thing happened with Bowmore n'all although I'd previously had a bottle of their 12 and thought it was ok. Non chill filtered and no added colouring is the way to go IMO, although there are whiskies I've enjoyed that are chill filtered and possibly/maybe coloured too... It's just when it comes to laying out my hard earned I'd prefer it was being spent on something entirely natural if possible
If you have a preference for sherried malts it may be worthwhile to check out Edradour, Glenallachie, Glendronach or Glengoyne. Kavalan sherried is very good too, though comes with a higher price tag.
I've read that Glengoyne 21 is meant to be really good, could you shed any light on it?

Last edited:
As far as Talisker goes I've only ever had the 10 and it was really nice, I'd definitely revisit it at some point. Never tried Dalmore although I did have a fancy for it once but was put off when I discovered they used colouring. Same thing happened with Bowmore n'all although I'd previously had a bottle of their 12 and thought it was ok. Non chill filtered and no added colouring is the way to go IMO, although there are whiskies I've enjoyed that are chill filtered and possibly/maybe coloured too... It's just when it comes to laying out my hard earned I'd prefer it was being spent on something entirely natural if possible

I've read that Glengoyne 21 is meant to be really good, could you shed any light on it?

the colour of the Glengoyne 21 :eek: 👍 :)

It's a decent whisky - a big sherry hit which I personally find a wee bit one dimensional but a lot of sherry heads love it. It's considerably better than the 18yo, but falls way short of the 25yo which is the stand out OB. You're paying double the price of the 21yo for just 4 more years in cask, however.

I've ordered a bottle of this as I like Oban 14 and to see if I can tell the difference between this and the sub £30 a bottle (on offer) stuff that I have been supping.
I've never had the Oban distillers edition but I've tried a couple others (Lagavulin and Dalwhinnie) and they were both delicious so I'd hope this to be, particularly if you're already fond of their regular line

Back