Whisky

Interesting that it was a rum barrrel. I bought a (new distillery) Glenglassaugh that was a Loch Fyne exclusive last year that was also a rum barrel which was very nice albeit quite young.

SMWS have just cocked up my latest order. I ordered a 13yo Highland Park bourbon cask which was about £60 and they have mistakenly sent me the next Highland Park in the numerical sequence which is a 20 year old Oloroso cask finished for a couple of years in PX that is exclusive to the Swiss market at €230. Decisions, Decisions :lol:
Can you keep the HP at same price ?

Been in Tynemouth lately ? or is it still same old same old ?

Last edited:

So not a case of someone else waiting for it ?
Shtumm then :lol:
It was a dual order with a 14yo Ledaig which they got right. Presumably they just picked wrongly from the next shelf…
Can you keep the HP at same price ?

Been in Tynemouth lately ? or is it still same old same old ?
Not been in Wine Chambers for a while. It’s been sold and stock doesn’t seem anything like as good as it was.

Last edited:
It was a dual order with a 14yo Ledaig which they got right. Presumably they just picked wrongly from the next shelf…

My first ever Whiskybroker was wrong, sent me a far older bottle than I'd actually ordered.
Rang them to be honest, and Martin basically said keep that one if you prefer. Given its WB not wildely expensive but still twice the price to the one I ordered.

Not been in Wine Chambers for a while. It’s been sold and stock doesn’t seem anything like as good as it was.
Yeah you had mentioned it was up for sale...would maybe have hoped new owners do more with it re selection/changing stocks.

Last edited:
Yeah you had mentioned it was up for sale...would maybe have hoped new owners do more with it re selection/changing stocks.
I suppose it depends on what you want. For those taking their first steps from ‘supermarket’ whisky to decent integrity malts it’s probably a treasure trove. I’m at the stage now where I only really buy cask strength which tends to be more indie based like SMWS, Cadenheads, Whiskybroker etc.

I’m not really into social media but a few people reckon you need to follow Wine Chambers twitter account for more exclusive bottlings then get in quick when they are announced.

I suppose it depends on what you want. For those taking their first steps from ‘supermarket’ whisky to decent integrity malts it’s probably a treasure trove. I’m at the stage now where I only really buy cask strength which tends to be more indie based like SMWS, Cadenheads, Whiskybroker etc.

I’m not really into social media but a few people reckon you need to follow Wine Chambers twitter account for more exclusive bottlings then get in quick when they are announced.
Not on social media but might start checking their page out without signing up to twitter

I never bother joining the rush for inaugural releases and certainly won’t pay decent sums for very young bottles.

Still no sign of North Star series 19…you used to be able to rely on when released and where would stock them but not any more.

I like Arran, I'll have a go at the Batch 1 bourbon release out of curiosity, but give the 'finishes' a miss.
Yes, I like Arran as well mate but one of things I’ve always liked about them is their sensible pricing. Each to their own but (for me) it’s overpriced at £75 when I can get a 10yo Port Charlotte at the same ABV for a little over £40.

As an aside does anybody know what changes Cadenheads are making after their last announcement. Sounds like they are maybe embracing online more instead of having to use the shops.

Last edited:
I never bother joining the rush for inaugural releases and certainly won’t pay decent sums for very young bottles.

Still no sign of North Star series 19…you used to be able to rely on when released and where would stock them but not any more.
Did you ever crack open the 20 yo sherry bomb? I did at the weekend and it's lush 😍

Did you ever crack open the 20 yo sherry bomb? I did at the weekend and it's lush 😍
There's a coincidence, so did I. Quarter bottle gone, think I'll need to ration it.
Anyone been to the Clynelish Distillery? I'm going in October but wondering if they do a handpour bottle or similar? I was at Glenfarclas last month and the shop was a major disappointment.

Last edited:
There's a coincidence, so did I. Quarter bottle gone, think I'll need to ration it.
Anyone been to the Clynelish Distillery? I'm going in October but wondering if they do a handpour bottle or similar? I was at Glenfarclas last month and the shop was a major disappointment.
They used to do hand fills then moved to pre-bottled distillery only releases. No idea if they do either post covid though.

Back