Whisky

Just been getting emails about investing in a barrel and was wondering if it was decent or not. Couldn't see any prices but it's probably out of my range.
I couldn't buy bottles to put away for future investment. I just want to drink them
I'd delve deep into things before investing in casks, have heard the lad who runs whiskybroker speak of people getting ripped off left, right and centre. Worth following on facebook actually, some good craic

Just been getting emails about investing in a barrel and was wondering if it was decent or not. Couldn't see any prices but it's probably out of my range.
I couldn't buy bottles to put away for future investment. I just want to drink them

I have a few casks as well as a few cask shares - I wouldn’t call any of them investments. Unless you can get hold of a cask of Macallan, Ardbeg or Springbank the investment window was 10-15 years ago. Casks from the distilleries listed would probably run more than £50k each if they’re ever even made available.

I'd delve deep into things before investing in casks, have heard the lad who runs whiskybroker speak of people getting ripped off left, right and centre. Worth following on facebook actually, some good craic
For instance I read one where someone had invested in a barrel labelled Williamson, which is typically Laphroaig, however by all accounts it turns out that just because it's labelled Williamson, doesn't necessarily mean it contains Laphroaig. Yet whoever invested in it would assume it did and end up well out of pocket. Another one was old casks that burst or leak, you can pay thousands for a cask that can end up completely empty on the shelves.

There's also that many invested in whisky these days that you'd have to be really shrewd to pick out and turn a profit IMO. Being completely honest I can see the current market collapsing at some point, it always does. Whatever's flavour of the month at present and for however long near enough always ends up back in obscurity / mediocrity at some point. The big guys will still do alright I'd imagine, but the small guys not so well

I haven't seen anything like that before

One of the reasons Cadenhead don't know what's in it is that some of the whisky used spent 7 years in the US before being returned. If it was in the US it will likely have been stored in steel kegs and the colour could be due to a reaction with a particulate in those kegs. Total guesswork though as they don't know the reason themselves.

I had a Caperdonich once with a greenish tinge but it wasn't anything like as pronounced as this. This almost looks like absinthe.

This may be of interest to some:

Ha , that’s original !!!
You ever tried it ? Good stuff

Yes, I like it. If you get it discounted at the supermarket around £25 it's a bargain.

Here's a lovely gift set for anyone for a birthday etc... £38 with a couple of nice glasses.

This may be of interest to some:

Not a bad price for 3cl samples.

Not a bad price for 3cl samples.

I've had a few tasting sets from them...might pass on the Springbank one as got a couple of their bottles( or rather there is only the CS and the Hazelburn that I've not had or have). Might go for the Wolfburn or the auld and rare set.

Last edited:
Had half a dozen sets from them and they are all 30ml samples.
Plastic bottles and just in a jiffy bag but size as stated
Wee samples are great however there's just not enough in them to determine a full blown opinion on a given drink. I've had some samples of whiskies I thought I'd like but didn't for example, would love to have gone back and tried again. Could have always bought more samples I suppose lol

Wee samples are great however there's just not enough in them to determine a full blown opinion on a given drink. I've had some samples of whiskies I thought I'd like but didn't for example, would love to have gone back and tried again. Could have always bought more samples I suppose lol
Whisky.nl do 6cl samples often at a decent price...tried a few from there at decent prices

for example Ledaig 10..4.99 euros for a 6cl sample

Last edited:

Back