Whisky

I suspect it will be tough to get hold of but the Springbank Local Barley is due out on the 26th. Probably the most sought after of the annual releases and for good reason.

I agree Penderyn has been underwhelming thus far. Don’t think I’ve seen or tried an age statement release from them.

Last edited:

I’m dealing with The Welsh Whisky Company on a work thing at the moment....in passing was told they’re expanding along with another still.

Not overly keen on what I’ve had of theirs so far mind
I think with any relatively new distillery, their product will be difficult to judge until they have a fair whack of experience behind them. When you look at the big hitters in the whisky world, the majority of them are centuries old and those that aren't tend to hire people with the necessary experience to help them take off on the right foot.

Must admit I'm not a fan of the new distilleries selling really young whisky at inflated prices, although I understand their need to generate income. Arran ran at a loss until 2010 apparently which was 15 year after they opened.

Another thing I'm not a fan of is established distilleries knocking out special editions at inflated prices. Again, I understand why they do it as they go on to generate further income on the secondary market but still... Take Arrrrrrrdbeg for example, £143 a bottle for a NAS that going off what I've read seems to be something well under 10 yo. Plenty of genuine reviews (from Ardbeg/whisky fans) slating it like, only making about £50 mark up secondary at present.
I suspect it will be tough to get hold of but the Springbank Local Barley is due out on the 26th. Probably the most sought after of the annual releases and for good reason.

I agree Penderyn has been underwhelming thus far. Don’t think I’ve seen or tried an age statement release from them.
Do Cadenheads in Campbelltown get bottles like that in store do you know?

I think with any relatively new distillery, their product will be difficult to judge until they have a fair whack of experience behind them. When you look at the big hitters in the whisky world, the majority of them are centuries old and those that aren't tend to hire people with the necessary experience to help them take off on the right foot.

Must admit I'm not a fan of the new distilleries selling really young whisky at inflated prices, although I understand their need to generate income. Arran ran at a loss until 2010 apparently which was 15 year after they opened.

Another thing I'm not a fan of is established distilleries knocking out special editions at inflated prices. Again, I understand why they do it as they go on to generate further income on the secondary market but still... Take Arrrrrrrdbeg for example, £143 a bottle for a NAS that going off what I've read seems to be something well under 10 yo. Plenty of genuine reviews (from Ardbeg/whisky fans) slating it like, only making about £50 mark up secondary at present.

Do Cadenheads in Campbelltown get bottles like that in store do you know?
They do, but they’ve typically pre-sold their allocation. Can’t hurt to check though.

Some of the newer distilleries have put out some very decent stuff. Daftmill, Bimber and St George’s spring to mind. The first couple of Raasay releases have been very decent too.

Ardbeg and Macallan et al are shadows of their former selves, living off their brand.

Last edited:
They do, but they’ve typically pre-sold their allocation. Can’t hurt to check though.

Some of the newer distilleries have put out some very decent stuff. Daftmill, Bimber and St George’s spring to mind. The first couple of Raasay releases have been very decent too.

Ardbeg and Macallan et al are shadows of their former selves, living off their brand.
Tbf I've never tried either of the young distilleries you've mentioned, I was thinking along the lines of Waterford who seem to put out new bottles every couple of month at around £70 a pop

As for the local barley, one I've tried to get my hands on in a while but don't fancy my chances of picking one up on its release day.

At one point last year I found one online which was in a bundle with a bottle of Kilkerran I think for £150. Ummed and aahed, went back and it had gone. Gutted.

Tbf I've never tried either of the young distilleries you've mentioned, I was thinking along the lines of Waterford who seem to put out new bottles every couple of month at around £70 a pop

As for the local barley, one I've tried to get my hands on in a while but don't fancy my chances of picking one up on its release day.

At one point last year I found one online which was in a bundle with a bottle of Kilkerran I think for £150. Ummed and aahed, went back and it had gone. Gutted.

i suspect this local barley will be even tougher to acquire as it’s the first sherried LB in a long time. I’d prefer bourbon personally but I’ve not tried a sherried LB.

i suspect this local barley will be even tougher to acquire as it’s the first sherried LB in a long time. I’d prefer bourbon personally but I’ve not tried a sherried LB.
I'll be in the area back end of March, any other places you know of where I could pop my head in and take a look?

This has just arrived so a few Bruichladdich over the weekend for me

Much as it pains me to say it being a massive fanboy for 40 years, I would also put Laphroaig into that category. Quality seems to be declining year on year and they are just being overtaken by the distilleries bottling with more integrity on filtration and colouring.
I’ve never been a Macallan fan but certainly Ardbeg and Laphroaig need to up their game now to compete with Laddies, Kilchoman etc.

Much as it pains me to say it being a massive fanboy for 40 years, I would also put Laphroaig into that category. Quality seems to be declining year on year and they are just being overtaken by the distilleries bottling with more integrity on filtration and colouring.
I’ve never been a Macallan fan but certainly Ardbeg and Laphroaig need to up their game now to compete with Laddies, Kilchoman etc.

with regards Laphraoig....no excuse really for bottling their 10 at 40% abv, chill filtered and colouring.

While still a fan of Ardbeg 10 some of their “ special releases“ seem to be a piss take.

As for Macallan...forget it, even if I had the budget

My dad got me the Glenmorangie Original 10 years for Christmas which I've been slowly sipping since January, in between a nice Bourbon I like, down to the last few drams now and it has gotten better as I've drank it, some Whiskies seem to get better as they take on oxygen, I'd recommend this as cupboard stock for occasional drinking as, as I've said, it seems to get better if it sits with oxygen in the bottle for a little bit.

Back