Whisky

Can’t really get into it mate but I’m not an experienced bourbon drinker. Only really had the cheaper stuff like Makers Mark, Bulleit and Buffalo Trace. Preferred the Buffalo Trace of the 3 so thought I’d try the Eagle Rare 10. Drinkable but don’t think I’ll be buying any more bourbon. Much prefer my malts.

Friday nights during lockdown I tend to watch Roy’s Aquavite V Pub from the previous evening on YouTube.

Coincidental that his guest last night was Ian Macmillan ex Burns Stewart who left after the Distell takeover. I hadn’t realised that after leaving Distell he was heavily involved in the Bladnoch refurbishment. Safe to say guy is largely responsible for some of my favourite drams. 🥃

Tbh mate IMHO Eagle rare isn't as nice as it used to be, not sure if it's down to my taste developing or because over the years quantity has taken precedence over quality, but the last SB I had was cracking. It's all down to personal taste obviously, I got into bourbon before scotch so still appreciate a nice whiskey now and again. Up until lockdown I had more bourbon than scotch on my shelf

Just had a quick look on whiskybroker and the bottles I looked at are a bit light on description. Is it a case of buying blind or am I looking in the wrong place?
The Whiskybroker releases tend to come in batches and they are thin on the ground at the moment apart from miniatures.

You are always taking a bit of a chance with any single cask bottling, it’s not like distillery core ranges where they are mixing casks to give consistency. Single cask whiskies have to stand or fall in isolation.

That said, they often represent outstanding value and the independent bottlers have their own reputation to maintain and the better known ones don’t put rubbish on the market.

I’ve had dozens of Whiskybroker releases and they have all been excellent, in fact I’ve never ever heard criticism of one of their bottlings from anybody.

It’s important to know and develop your palate before getting in to many independents though. Do you prefer whisky matured in bourbon casks or sherry casks. Do you prefer peated or unpeated. Do you like the Speyside style or the more coastal style of the island distilleries. Once you know the styles and distilleries you like then you can follow your nose with the single casks and I’d be amazed if you were disappointed with anything from Whiskybroker.

@FC United of Manchester yeah plenty more whisky to sample before I buy any fancy stuff.

Really enjoyed my whisky last night. I finished off the last bit of Highland Black (Aldi Special) then had a try of the Haig Club Clubman which I thought was alright actually. I’ve noticed that if I drink the “good” whisky first, I don’t appreciate it as much and can’t taste the flavour as much if I haven’t had a few “warm ups” first. Is that a thing or is it just me??

Then I moved on to the proper stuff - Ledaig 10, Ardbeg 10, Bunna 12 and Talisker 10 😍 I can see these 4 having a regular place on the shelf, cracking whiskies.

I managed to get a bottle of this and it seems that there is still some stock despite only being 94 bottles and its appearance on TV this morning.

I managed to get a bottle of this and it seems that there is still some stock despite only being 94 bottles and its appearance on TV this morning.

I had a Glenglassaugh rum cask finish that was exclusive to Tyndrum last year. Excellent stuff.

I’m not sure how it rates with some of the whisky connoisseurs on here, but I got some Penderyn legend single malt for Christmas and it’s bloody lovely.

I’m not sure how it rates with some of the whisky connoisseurs on here, but I got some Penderyn legend single malt for Christmas and it’s bloody lovely.
Never tried it mate, have thought about it often but there's that much Scotch and American I want to get round before I try Welsh!

I tried the Pendreryn core range at a festival a few years ago and found it a bit bland but can’t remember what was in the range at that time. My son in law turned up with a bottle of Penderyn peated last year which I was intrigued to try as it’s finished in ex Laphroaig casks. It wasn’t bad but a bit underwhelming for a ‘peated’ whisky, turns out it isn’t really a peated spirit merely finished in ex peated casks. I think they bottle their NAS offerings quite young.

Last edited:
the Lidl Islay is drinkable...at £17.49

Not great but ok bang for buck
This has been £16.49 for a little while along with the Ben Bracken Speyside and Highland malts in my Lidl. Doesn't state special offer so I'm hoping its a permanent reduction. I buy these as my basic tipple interspersed with more expensive treats to myself often based on recommendations from this thread 👍

This has been £16.49 for a little while along with the Ben Bracken Speyside and Highland malts in my Lidl. Doesn't state special offer so I'm hoping its a permanent reduction. I buy these as my basic tipple interspersed with more expensive treats to myself often based on recommendations from this thread 👍
They are excellent value overall but lack the 'note' of the more expensive whiskies. At the moment I get my shopping from Tesco online ATM and they generally have loads of offers. Just got bottles of Tamnavulin and Ardmore Legacy for 20 quid each.

They are excellent value overall but lack the 'note' of the more expensive whiskies. At the moment I get my shopping from Tesco online ATM and they generally have loads of offers. Just got bottles of Tamnavulin and Ardmore Legacy for 20 quid each.
Yes, I often get those as well. Just finished the Ardmore which was also on offer at Morrisons for £20. I do click and collect and on a couple of occasions they have left the security tag on the bottle and it doesn't cause the alarm to go off as it doesn't leave the store through the normal doors.

It doesn't stop you drinking it but it looks bloody stupid! I politely e mailed customer services, first time I got the £20 refunded (although I didn't ask for anything) and the second time they gave me 5000 More points :)

Never tried it mate, have thought about it often but there's that much Scotch and American I want to get round before I try Welsh!

I’m dealing with The Welsh Whisky Company on a work thing at the moment....in passing was told they’re expanding along with another still.

Not overly keen on what I’ve had of theirs so far mind

Back