Whisky

Batches and barley used iirc, remember looking it up myself once. Never tried it though, mainly due to its cost lol. I love a nice peated whisky but not sure I've had anything that can compare to the levels mentioned with octomore.

the only Octomore I’ve tried was really really good....would I pay that much, probably not but enjoyable

Batches and barley used iirc, remember looking it up myself once. Never tried it though, mainly due to its cost lol. I love a nice peated whisky but not sure I've had anything that can compare to the levels mentioned with octomore.

Octomore base quite a lot of their advertising on the high PPM but that measurement isn’t indicative of how peaty a whisky is. Just a bit of marketing bluster.

Octomore base quite a lot of their advertising on the high PPM but that measurement isn’t indicative of how peaty a whisky is. Just a bit of marketing bluster.

some of the PPM levels sound crazy but as you say doesn’t mean in the glass much peatier.

I found the Port Charlotte 10 heavily peated right up there ( lovely as well) but nowhere near the PPM of say an Octomore.

some of the PPM levels sound crazy but as you say doesn’t mean in the glass much peatier.

I found the Port Charlotte 10 heavily peated right up there ( lovely as well) but nowhere near the PPM of say an Octomore.

I've just bought a 5cl Laphroaig 10 pre royal warrant to see if it's much different from the 10 you get these days. Haven't had it yet but was just wondering if my taste buds have changed that much or whether it's the whisky itself that changed. Just I remember it tasting completely different to what it does now when I first tried it years ago.

I've just bought a 5cl Laphroaig 10 pre royal warrant to see if it's much different from the 10 you get these days. Haven't had it yet but was just wondering if my taste buds have changed that much or whether it's the whisky itself that changed. Just I remember it tasting completely different to what it does now when I first tried it years ago.

a lot of people say the 10 is nothing like it was years ago....relatively new to malts so wouldn’t know.

maybe @shakerman can shed light ?

a lot of people say the 10 is nothing like it was years ago....relatively new to malts so wouldn’t know.

maybe @shakerman can shed light ?
I got a heck of a shock when I tried it again quite recently, it's almost like night and day. Sweet foremostly with a definite peat kick, but it used to taste like pure TCP

Pre Royal Warrant are substantially better than the contemporary releases imo. The European releases at the time were even better, had an extra 3% abv which made a significant difference.

Last edited:
Pre Royal Warrant are substantially better than the contemporary releases imo. The European releases at time were even better, had an extra 3% abv which made a significant difference.
Aye I've seen those, they go for good money on auction. Might get lucky with one one day

Just finishing off a decent afternoon/teatime shift on Glenlivet 15. Lovely smooth dram, which has went out of fashion over the years due to the (correct) drive towards non-chill filtered, non-coloured 46%-ish expressions. Still, wonderful stuff!

Doing some cocktails for cup final day next weekend. Managed to source a recipe for a one I really enjoyed a year ago. Any ideas on what measurements it would be as I only have the list of ingredients? It wasn't too strong, maybe 15-20%.

Smoky whisky
Chambord
Apple juice
Vanilla syrup

I'd just keep trying different measurements but Chambord isn't cheap :lol:

Not a clue. I had one at Christmas which was whisky, chambord, cranberry juice, lime juice and fresh raspberries. It went 50ml whisky, 20ml chambord, 125ml cranberry and 15ml lime juice. Lusheroo.
Doing some cocktails for cup final day next weekend. Managed to source a recipe for a one I really enjoyed a year ago. Any ideas on what measurements it would be as I only have the list of ingredients? It wasn't too strong, maybe 15-20%.

Smoky whisky
Chambord
Apple juice
Vanilla syrup

Smoky whisky
Chambord
Apple juice
Vanilla syrup

Smoky Whisky - 100%
Chambord - 0%
Apple Juice - 0%
Vanilla Syrup - 0%

Would be my best guess ;)

Only thing I ever add to whisky (apart from a drop of water in some CS) is Drambuie, I do like a good Rusty Nail in my hip flask in winter.

Smoky Whisky - 100%
Chambord - 0%
Apple Juice - 0%
Vanilla Syrup - 0%

Would be my best guess ;)

Only thing I ever add to whisky (apart from a drop of water in some CS) is Drambuie, I do like a good Rusty Nail in my hip flask in winter.

:lol: fair. Anything over £20 doesn't get touched with anything. Rarely use ice.

But I do enjoy a scotch & ginger and a Klondike with the cheap stuff

:lol: fair. Anything over £20 doesn't get touched with anything. Rarely use ice.

But I do enjoy a scotch & ginger and a Klondike with the cheap stuff
I have a mate who is a real sherry bomb whisky fan and when he gets a whisky that isn't sherried enough for him he simply adds a drop of sherry. Common sense really I suppose but it just seems odd for some reason :lol:

Back