Which laptop

Yes. Although I wouldn't have the real numbers to hand a large part of the power difference will be bogged down by a mechanical hard drive.

I got the Acer for my daughter for Xmas. It's great. It has optane which is like a type of ssd technology making it boot in seconds. Hers is for school work so no idea about playing a game though.

Yes. Although I wouldn't have the real numbers to hand a large part of the power difference will be bogged down by a mechanical hard drive.
^^^ this, not having an SSD is like putting a 1.0 engine in a Ferrari.

I wouldn't ignore the processors too much. The fact the Acer has an 8th Gen i5 processor and the HP is the older slower i5 7th gen then I'd suggest hoying in a decent 256GB SSD (£30ish) into the Fiesta and make it a Bugatti Veyron ;)

The Acer i5-8250u scores 7677 PassMark - Intel Core i5-8250U @ 1.60GHz - Price performance comparison

HP i5-7200u scores 4615 PassMark - Intel Core i5-7200U @ 2.50GHz - Price performance comparison

You can't upgrade processors to easily but you can the SSD and memory most of the time. The i5-8250u is the one to get for value for money so ignore brand names to some degree. Also ignore the i5 shite that some places only show as that's just like showing the car model name (Fiesta) but not the actual engine performance as some i5's can be shite. The Acer i5 actually outperforms some i7 8th gen processors but places will push the i7 aspect to fool buyers by just saying i7.

You also want a 256GB SSD given the price of them now separately as buying one already in normally adds a premium when it's normally quite simple to do it yourself. You also need at least 8GB memory and 12/16 would be better but again pre built you pay the premium. The memory on the Acer is better as it says it's 4 GB RAM / 16 GB Intel® Optane so better again than the HP for sure. Think of it as a turbo supercharger on engine.

The rest of spec won't make enough difference as the laptop graphics are in the processor anyway. Don't pay extra loads more for a dedicated graphics because unless you're gaming there's no point and Footy Manager will work fine with inbuilt graphics.

The inbuilt graphics are better in the Acer again due to better processor. Nerdy crap here but looks to be at least 10% better in most scores.

Graphics Card Comparison - Head 2 Head

One last thing is whether you want FULL HD 1920x1080 screen because some again only offer crap like 1366x768 so you see far less on screen, albeit bigger. Both those laptops have 1920x1080 though.

So basically,

get the Acer, hoy a 256GB SSD in it for £430 total as it's same spec as most £500 laptops as you'll see (unless you grab one in sales) if you google the main spec. It will be more future proof than the HP also ;)

Google Search for Laptop 256GB SSD I5-8250u 1920x1080

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a Lenovo with win 10 2/3 years ago for about £500 - Never worked very well at all
Has it got an SSD? If not, then do that. It'll still be fine.
Clean install of Win 10, rather than the one that came with it will help too.

If its only got 4Gb RAM, upgrade it to 8, which is the min these days.

What do you suggest mate ?
Sorry, haven't the time to do a proper search, but this popped up on ukhotdeals just now - looks spot on
LENOVO IdeaPad 330S 15.6" Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Full-HD IPS, Rapid Charge £449.99 @ Lenovo UK - hotukdeals

LENOVO IdeaPad 330S 15.6" Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Full-HD IPS
For £449

Ryzen might not quite compare to an i5, but the graphics will be 3x as good, which is canny for light gaming.

Last edited:

Back