Which Hikes or climbs do you have planned?

Have you sorted your itinerary out? When are you thinking of going and where are you thinking of starting from?

Not set in stone/ booked, but thinking this. Any tips/ thoughts from anyone is always appreciated:

1. Day 0 (August 22nd): Arrival at the Airport
  2. Day 1 (August 23rd): Les Houches to Les Contamines. Accommodation: Camping Le Pontet (35 euros)
  3. Day 2 (August 24th): Les Contamines to Les Chapieux. Accommodation: Camping at Aire de naturelle (Free)
  4. Day 3 (August 25th): Les Chapieux to Rifugio Elisabetta. Accommodation: Hostel stay (54 Euros)
  5. Day 4 (August 26th): Rifugio Elisabetta to Courmayeur. Accommodation: Hostel stay at Rifugio Maison Vieille (70 euros)
  6. Day 5 (August 27th): Courmayeur to Rifugio Walter Bonatti/ Val Farret. Either stay at the Rifugio Bonatti (€70). Or camp, but I'd need to walk further to Val Farret.
  7. Day 6 (August 28th): Rifugio Walter Bonatti/ Val Farret to La Fouly. Accommodation: Camping des Glaciers (£23).
  8. Day 7 (August 29th): La Fouly to Champex. Accommodation: Camping Les Rocailles (apparently 48 euros - what a f***ing rip off, will be looking for alternatives!).
  9. Day 8 (August 30th): Champex to Trient. Accommodation: Le Peuty campsite (6 euros).
  10. Day 9 (August 31st): Trient to Tre le Champ. Accommodation: Stay at Auberge La Boerne (40 euros)
  11. Day 10 (September 1st): Tre le Champ to Chamonix.
  12. Day 11 (September 2nd): Departure from the Airport.

Not set in stone/ booked, but thinking this. Any tips/ thoughts from anyone is always appreciated:

1. Day 0 (August 22nd): Arrival at the Airport
  2. Day 1 (August 23rd): Les Houches to Les Contamines. Accommodation: Camping Le Pontet (35 euros)
  3. Day 2 (August 24th): Les Contamines to Les Chapieux. Accommodation: Camping at Aire de naturelle (Free)
  4. Day 3 (August 25th): Les Chapieux to Rifugio Elisabetta. Accommodation: Hostel stay (54 Euros)
  5. Day 4 (August 26th): Rifugio Elisabetta to Courmayeur. Accommodation: Hostel stay at Rifugio Maison Vieille (70 euros)
  6. Day 5 (August 27th): Courmayeur to Rifugio Walter Bonatti/ Val Farret. Either stay at the Rifugio Bonatti (€70). Or camp, but I'd need to walk further to Val Farret.
  7. Day 6 (August 28th): Rifugio Walter Bonatti/ Val Farret to La Fouly. Accommodation: Camping des Glaciers (£23).
  8. Day 7 (August 29th): La Fouly to Champex. Accommodation: Camping Les Rocailles (apparently 48 euros - what a f***ing rip off, will be looking for alternatives!).
  9. Day 8 (August 30th): Champex to Trient. Accommodation: Le Peuty campsite (6 euros).
  10. Day 9 (August 31st): Trient to Tre le Champ. Accommodation: Stay at Auberge La Boerne (40 euros)
  11. Day 10 (September 1st): Tre le Champ to Chamonix.
  12. Day 11 (September 2nd): Departure from the Airport.
On the Les Houches to Les Contamines leg does your route go over Le Prarion? You get some spectacular vistas up around there even though when you look at it on a map you wouldn't expect that - like this one (me in pic 😎)
Logon or register to see this image

On the Les Houches to Les Contamines leg does your route go over Le Prarion? You get some spectacular vistas up around there even though when you look at it on a map you wouldn't expect that - like this one (me in pic 😎)
Logon or register to see this image
Stunner mate. The trail doesn't, but I suppose it's a nice side route if I fancied it (and my legs would handle it). There's probably a hundred walking holidays to be had out there with all the different mountains!

Last edited:
Had a few days holiday so I completed the first stage of the Thames Path this week (Source to Oxford).

It was incredibly muddy/ boggy as a result of the recent weather and the fact it's still winter. But aside from a bit of flooding in Oxfordshire I had to detour to avoid, it was a pretty good walk. Barely a soul out there, which was really relaxing.

Would absolutely recommend it to anyone who is fairly inexperienced as a summer hike like. Ridiculously flat, easy to follow, go through somewhere you can stay every 10-15 miles, and really interesting to watch the river go from a puddle/ spring, to a stream to a full river.

Gave me a chance to try out my camping gear in the lower temperatures as well. Was super warm and cosy, even as it hit minus one on one of the nights - so good to know it all works!

Last edited:

Back