Which club in terms of size are Sunderland most similar in your opinion?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
I agree with that. Also I can never understand how preoccupied they get with fan numbers.

For more or less every Sunderland home game there's at least one topic discussing the attendance.
Many of your fans do like to perpetuate the myth that you always get full a house and have never had low crowds. No-one disagrees with the huge size and overall loyalty of your support, but many of your fans do seem to think that they are special vs other fans.

We have all seen Sky Sports news with your fans stating that “no-one understands” or “you don’t know what it means to us” implying that NUFC means more to your fans than other clubs mean to their fans.

Should be easy to find then.

Last edited:

Spurs 2 league cups.
Leicester 2 league cups and a league title.
Bigger than Spurs.

Swansea bigger than Everton over the last 10 years.

Birmingham bigger than Spurs for the last 10 years.

There's tons of threads on here frequently talking about Sunderlands attendances as well tbf
Yeah fair enough. We are nearly as bad as you lot at times. I guess it’s a bit of club pride, harmless but a bit embarrassing imo

Yeah, you're worse tbh. Way worse.

Find me a similar level of discussion around our attendances for almost every home game as you see on here for your home games and we'll open it up again.

Last edited:
Below is the all time average attendance table

As much as I dislike Chelsea I stated previously that contrary to popular belief Chelsea have a fantastic historical support, and some poor periods just like any other club

That can't be right. The mags had no fans pre 92
I don’t disagree with that - probably about 10% bigger crowds all other things being equal - it’s the mythology they try and build up in the media about their support (always a sell out, never an empty seat etc. etc.) that I take issue with.

SJP has been like a morgue the for the last decade other than for a handful of games.

That wasn't a myth though, I would say from 2000 when the stadium was expanded up until 2009 when we went down it was pretty much 52k every single week. Then from 2010 after promotion up until this season it's been 52k pretty much week in week out.

Last edited:
Yeah, you're worse tbh. Way worse.

Find me a similar level of discussion around our attendances for almost every home game as you see on here for your home games and we'll open it up again.

Give owa man. 52000 every week is almost part of the nufc brand. Even on this thread trying to argue you are as big as Spurs because of massive crowds in the championship

Give owa man. 52000 every week is almost part of the nufc brand. Even on this thread trying to argue you are as big as Spurs because of massive crowds in the championship

I'd say we were up until 2007 when Ashley took over us. We had higher revenue, higher crowds, higher recent league finishes and far more recent champions league and European football than Spurs.

Last edited:

Media perpetuated, I personally don't know any Newcastle fan that thinks like that.

Again, find me the volume of discussion by our fans around attendances that is similar to what you see on here before more or less every home game.

Where did I discuss our size relative to Spurs? I only contested the average attendance thing as we've had 4m more through our door in our history than they have. I didn't say this was or was not in any way related to club 'size'.

But then again, you've got some in here arguing Birmingham, Swansea and Wigan are just as big as Spurs due to trophies recently so idk.

Last edited:
I'd say we were up until 2007 when Ashely took over us. We had higher revenue, higher crowds, higher league finishes and more champions league and European football than Spurs.

There was nothing in it revenue wise NUFC being the 12th and Spurs being the 13th biggest in Europe around those times solely down to the fact that Spurs attendances were restricted by their home ground. Since Newcastle had last won a major trophy in the 50s Spurs had won two league titles, 6 FA cups, 4 league cups, a cup winners cup, a uefa cup and 5 charity shields - but aye you were a bigger clerb :rolleyes: Tbf if i'm including charity shields i'll even let you have that one city trophy thingy when you qualified by finishing 10th for if you like ;)
Media perpetuated, I personally don't know any Newcastle fan that thinks like that.

Again, find me the volume of discussion by our fans around attendances that is similar to what you see on here before more or less every home game.

Where did I discuss our size relative to Spurs? I only contested the average attendance thing as we've had 4m more through our door in our history than they have. I didn't say this was or was not in any way related to club 'size'.

But then again, you've got some in here arguing Birmingham, Swansea and Wigan are just as big as Spurs due to trophies recently so idk.

You didn't, others did.

Last edited:
I'd say we were up until 2007 when Ashley took over us. We had higher revenue, higher crowds, higher recent league finishes and far more recent champions league and European football than Spurs.
I thought Shepherd had basically bankrupted you by trying to compete with the top clubs and Ashley actually sorted out your finances.

I thought Shepherd had basically bankrupted you by trying to compete with the top clubs and Ashley actually sorted out your finances.

I don't know. I don't have access to that information. What I could see though is that we were in a better position than Spurs from the mid 90s until mid 00s

Since your last trophy in the fifties how many have Spurs won?

There was nothing in it revenue wise NUFC being the 12th and Spurs being the 13th biggest in Europe around those times solely down to the fact that Spurs attendances were restricted by their home ground. Since Newcastle had last won a major trophy in the 50s Spurs had won two league titles, 6 FA cups, 4 league cups, a cup winners cup, a uefa cup and 5 charity shields - but aye you were a bigger clerb :rolleyes: Tbf if i'm including charity shields i'll even let you have that one city trophy thingy when you qualified by finishing 10th for if you like ;)

You didn't, others did.

Thanks for that mate, I was going to answer but you did a very good job apart from leaving out another UEFA Cup 1972 and 1984, that was a purple patch for Newcastle and a barren horrendous 10 plus years for Spurs after they went bankrupt around 1990/91, hence Spurs were absolutely shit most of the time until Levy came along and rejuvenated Spurs, but Spurs still managed to win the FA Cup in 1991 and the League Cup in 1999 during that time.

The higher League finishes part isn’t entirely true either because Spurs have finished above Newcastle United in every single season since 2004 :)

Truth is, we massively overrated ourselves.
They way most clubs think of us will be on a par with the likes of Burnley, Blackburn, Stoke etc.

People thinking we're up there with West Ham are absolutely mental.

Back