Which club in terms of size are Sunderland most similar in your opinion?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
That's your opinion. Mine is that in terms of success in the last 40 years, catchment area and rivals then we are broadly comparable. If you are talking purely about crowds, then right now there's not a great deal between us, and I'm sure that if Portsmouth had a larger ground, they'd still fill it.

I hate to bring it up, but Newcastle consider themselves a massive club because they get close to 50k.
Portsmouths highest ever average attendance for a season was 37k.

Last season theirs was 18k ours over 30k.
I'd say their was a great deal between us.

Mags, West Ham, Villa, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Wolves soon maybe

I’d go with the mags. There are many similarities, even our stadiums are shaped and aligned in a similar way.

So by your theory of attendances alone, Newcastle are bigger than Chelsea and on par with Liverpool. :rolleyes:
I didn't bring up attendances you did.

"If you're talking purely about crowds, then right now there's not a great deal between us"

Was just pointing out the inaccuracy of this statement.

Its hard to define what is a “bigger club” or, at least, definition is subjective.

The way I look at it is a simple count of trophies will tell us who are the most successful club - which what you’ve done - we are well up there along with Preston and Huddersfield. But this doesn’t necessarily mean “big”.

Equally a simple analysis of the current league table tells us who are the best teams. We are way down.

I define “big” as a bit of a hunch or a view of where the club is most likely to be in 25 years time all things being equal (no mental takeovers or freak golden generation teams). Bournemouth will be relegated and never seen again, Norwich will still be to yoyoing, Sunderland will be higher than where we are now. This is taking a view of all clubs long term resources - fans is huge in this regard, but it’s not the only thing. The wealth of those fans and the attractiveness of that geography as a place to live are also considerations.

Honestly, I think in 25 years time we’ll be below Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Man City, Newcastle, Villa, Leeds, Everton and West Ham. So I think we’re twelfth biggest in the land in the way I define “big”. After us, in my view, is Wolves.

Decent. And the answer is certainly Newcastle. Chronic underachievers bordering on the ridiculous, geographically close, large fanbase.

Consensus seems to be Liverpool Man Utd Arsenal Everton Chelsea Man City Spurs Villa Newcastle Sunderland in some kind of interchangeable order outside of top 3.

i was gonna say wolves or wba, but sheff weds is a good shout

Wolves are comfortably bigger then WBA. If you want to try and think you are of comparable size its for the former not the latter. WBA are similar to a Preston at worst or a Southampton at best. Or perhaps Leicester.

Sheff Weds came to mind when seeing the title.

Leeds are an odd one. 24 years outside the top flight since 1980 but i reckon there's something about them that makes them more glamorous, maybe its the size of the city.

Aston Villa, West Ham, Newcastle- these clubs attract more money to their boardrooms that stop them having long spells outside the top flight.

I don't think Wolves, WBA or Brum are Sunderland's size.

Back