Where's our Summer?

had 6 weeks of glorious 20+ degrees weather here in the lakes only to end this week and back to normal...lots of cloud and drizzle. .. .oddly enough it's been quietest start to a tourist season for a good few years

Who made the rules that summer starts on June 21st?

I’m clearly no Neil DeGrasse Tyson but the earth is closest to the sun on the 21st which theoretically ought to be the mid point of the summer cos from then on the earth is moving further from the sun = colder weather and shorter days. Maybe the axis affects this somehow which gives us supposedly hotter weather after the solstice and colder weather after December 21st.

The following table lists recent-past and near-future start and end dates of British Summer Time:[5]

Year Start End
2015 29 March 25 October
2016 27 March 30 October
2017 26 March 29 October
2018 25 March 28 October
2019 31 March 27 October
2020 29 March 25 October
2021 28 March 31 October

The following table lists recent-past and near-future start and end dates of British Summer Time:[5]

Year Start End
2015 29 March 25 October
2016 27 March 30 October
2017 26 March 29 October
2018 25 March 28 October
2019 31 March 27 October
2020 29 March 25 October
2021 28 March 31 October
Well those are the clock change times which is completely different from the actual season of summer despite it’s misleading title. But that’s another thing that seems to bug me more and more each year - it seems that it’s something for which the purpose has been completely forgotten and/or is no longer relevant in the modern world but we continue t abide by it for unknown reasons. I wish Florida would do like Arizona and just sack it off completely.

Well those are the clock change times which is completely different from the actual season of summer despite it’s misleading title. But that’s another thing that seems to bug me more and more each year - it seems that it’s something for which the purpose has been completely forgotten and/or is no longer relevant in the modern world but we continue t abide by it for unknown reasons. I wish Florida would do like Arizona and just sack it off completely.
I wouldn't mind staying on BST, wouldn't want to stay on gmt all year.

I've got a cracking tan , get out from SMB and enjoy sun when it does come up :p the sun is like argos deals , once its gone , its gone :lol:

sun was out at 5am this morning for a few hour, frijj/sun will come out tomorrow.

Year Start End
2015 29 March 25 October
2016 27 March 30 October
2017 26 March 29 October
2018 25 March 28 October
2019 31 March 27 October
2020 29 March 25 October
2021 28 March 31 October

British summer time has nothing to do with the seasons. They're timings.

It isn’t even summer yet! (21st) have some patience...but yes it’s disappointing so far, as it’s been in previous years too
On a technicality, 21st June is MID Summer day. Not day 1 of summer.

On a technicality, 21st June is MID Summer day. Not day 1 of summer.
21 st June ( or close to it) is first day of summer/ the summer solstice.
24 th of June is midsummer day.

It's a quarter day
  • Lady Day – The Feast of the Annunciation, March 25.
  • Midsummer Day – The Feast of St. John the Baptist, June 24.
  • Michaelmas – The Feast of St. Michael and All Angels, September 29.
  • Christmas Day – The Feast of the Nativity, December 25.

Back